Teleological Argument

Read 2894 times

digs

• 7 Posts
    • View Profile
Multiverse and necessity
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:49:45 am »
Hi,

I'm new here, a passionate christian and lay philosopher. I have a question about the 'multiverse' or 'many world theories' after watching a video interview with McGrath, Ward and Lennox. I understand that the 'multiverse' theory isn't inconsistent with a theistic worldview (God could've created them).

But, if there is a multiverse and our universe is the one which has the conditions for carbon based life, wouldn't it follow our universe therefore exists necessarily? Surely thats a very difficult position to argue; that our universe including us, exist necessarily??? I'm not sure if I've explained myself properly.

As i understand it, the multiverse explanation is needed to give the conclusion of our universe is suitable for life. Isn't multiverse theory which results in no life in any universe is self defeating because it doesn't provide the explanation it was created for??? Doesn't multiverse theory lead to an inescapable necessity?

Sorry if I'm a bit muddled. If someone could point me to some resources or answers already on this topic I would appreciate it.

digs

• 7 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse and necessity
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:52 am »
bumping this thread - is it case of logical necessity or nomological necessity?

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:15:20 pm »
Hi,

I'm new here, a passionate christian and lay philosopher. I have a question about the 'multiverse' or 'many world theories' after watching a video interview with McGrath, Ward and Lennox. I understand that the 'multiverse' theory isn't inconsistent with a theistic worldview (God could've created them).

But, if there is a multiverse and our universe is the one which has the conditions for carbon based life, wouldn't it follow our universe therefore exists necessarily?

No, that doesn't follow.  There could be a multiverse with infinitely many universes within, in which none have the conditions required for carbon based life.  In fact, there could be a multiverse with infinitely many universes within, in which all universes contain a single aluminum can a YouTube video of a rock, but no computer on which to watch the video.

There being infinitely many universes doesn't mean that any of those universes are necessary, including our own universe.

Surely thats a very difficult position to argue; that our universe including us, exist necessarily??? I'm not sure if I've explained myself properly.

That would be a difficult position to argue for.  I don't accept that such a proposition is true, but I also don't accept that it is false.  I think it would be just as difficult to prove that our universe is not necessary as it would be to prove that it is.

As i understand it, the multiverse explanation is needed to give the conclusion of our universe is suitable for life. Isn't multiverse theory which results in no life in any universe is self defeating because it doesn't provide the explanation it was created for??? Doesn't multiverse theory lead to an inescapable necessity?

Oh no, the multiverse explanation is not required to conclude that our universe is suitable for life.  We have the multiverse theory (and I use the term theory loosely there) because our math and physics suggest that it is there.  We certainly can't prove that it is there, but we think it is.  As it turns out, such a multiverse would explain why we find ourselves in a universe suitable for our kind of life.

We know that a multiverse in which there is no life is not one that we are in, simply because we are alive.  It's possible to have a multiverse, but no life in it at all.  I don't see how a multiverse theory would lead to the necessity of our universe. 

Sorry if I'm a bit muddled. If someone could point me to some resources or answers already on this topic I would appreciate it.

Try hitting up YouTube and searching for "multiverse explanation" or something like that.  I'm sure there's lots of info on YouTube about it.  Just bear in mind that YouTube also has a bit of misinformation in it too.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

digs

• 7 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:20:06 pm »
I appreciate your response. It's given me more to think about.