Choose Your Own Topic

Read 7047 times

Hawke123

• 2415 Posts
  • So much to learn so little time
    • View Profile
Re: Athiests-- Why are you here?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:24 am »
When you think about it, its pretty absurd.

If you are an atheist, then you believe this is the only life you have and therefore makes every second extremely precious. Why would you waste those precious seconds arguing against people about a being you dont believe exists.

I could understand someone coming here with an open mind and seeing "whats out there", but if you are still unconvinced, it seriously doesnt make sense to keep coming back.
This.

If I were convinced that there was no God and no afterlife, I wouldn't be wasting countless hours of my life arguing on the internet about entities I believed to be in the same category as Santa, fairies, unicorns, Harry Potter, etc. or whether something can come into being without a cause.
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister

“It is always so much easier to attack someone else's position than to create and defend your own.” – Glenn Miller

12thMonkey

• 185 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:12:00 am »
And I don't mean this as an attack, but as a serious question.

OK, I'll treat it seriously.

I'm absolutely perplexed by the amount of time and number of posts many of the atheists devote to this Christian philosophy website.  I see many atheist posters with post counts in the multiple thousands, commenting on virtually every thread, often dwarfing the post counts of their theist counterparts.

If there were no atheists, this forum would be full of theists all telling each other about how their faith is reasonable.  I suppose that may sound fun to some people.  I find echo chambers to be miserable places.  You need people with different views on a forum.  Otherwise, you'll run out of topics to talk about.

Furthermore, the atheist posters are found to be frequently complaining about the quality of the board, the quality of the theist posters, and the intellectual vacuousness of the founder of the forums.

That's odd.  I've noticed that the atheist posters on this board do very little complaining, and only address WLC when a theist brings him up.  Same thing with Richard Dawkins.  The theists bring him up, not the atheists.

Can someone explain this mentality to me?  I don't like Harry Potter, so I don't frequent Harry Potter forums.  I don't like the New York Knicks, so I don't find myself on New York Knicks forums.  I don't go onto Twilight forums and belittle the readers, or put down the author.  On occasion I will go on a Buddhist forum, or a Hindu forum, I'll read some topics, possibly ask a question, maybe respond, and then I leave.

I think I can explain things to you, so I'm going to try.  Harry Potter is a cool book.  Well a few cool books, but I can understand that you don't like them.  That's OK.  I wonder what you would do if 80% of the population all thought Voldemort was real, and that Dumbledore was infallible and the author of morality.  What if that 80% of the population tried to force you to accept Dumbledore's morality and said that you were the minion of Voldemort and were going to burn in a lake of fire for all of eternity if you don't believe in Dumbledore's infallible perfection?  Would you just dismiss them as being insane?  Or would you do like the atheists here on this forum do, and actually try to engage with them see if there really is something to those beliefs?  What would you do if they told you that the belief in Dumbledore's infallible perfection is something that everyone knows about, and to question it is to abandon all intellectual honesty because such beliefs are properly basic?

You see, of the atheists that dislike religion, they don't dislike religion in the same way that you dislike the New York Knicks.  Comparing an atheist's views of religion to someone who doesn't like the Knicks is an exceedingly poor analogy.  Try just asking us what we think about something.  We'll be happy to tell you.

I don't understand the thought process involved in being a constant forum presence while continuing to attack every aspect of the board, and I can't be the only one that notices that the most vocal atheist posters also seem to be the most unhappy with their fellow posters, the topics, Christian philosophy, and Craig himself.

There are a few atheist posters who are unhappy with Keith_ and Lucious right now.  That's really all I can think of.  The other fellow posters are fine.  We think they are wrong about the whole god thing, but we're happy to talk to them.  Keith_ and Lucious are pretty gritty.  (I should give Keith_ some credit.  His posting most recently has become more friendly and less offensive.  It's not where I'd like it to be, but it's getting better.  As they say, credit where credit is due.)

I don't recall atheists complaining about the topics.  Unless you mean us objecting to the onslaught of Keith's posts about "New Atheism", and Lucious's insults directed at anyone who has the nerve to disagree with him.  We usually bring something up when we want to talk about it.

Atheists aren't unhappy with Christian philosophy.  We don't agree with it, but we aren't unhappy with it.  Craig himself is a different story.  We have plenty of respect for Craig.  We don't respect his arguments, and are happy to show where he is wrong, and explain why he is wrong, but we don't have anything against the man himself.

I would assume that if you have multiple thousands of posts, you enjoy the board, other posters, some of the topics, and have at least some mild respect for Craig.  But I just don't get that sense here. 

Am I wrong?  What am I missing? 

We do have respect for Craig.  We just don't think he is right and are happy to show why.  Having respect for someone and agreeing to everything they say are not the same thing.

Well, I never suggested all atheists should leave.  The reason I pop in occasionally is to see the give and take between some of the ideas on this forum.  I'm specifically questioning the ones who seem to maintain this as a second job, and yet have little good to say regarding their interaction with the topics, other posters, or Craig.

"You see, of the atheists that dislike religion, they don't dislike religion in the same way that you dislike the New York Knicks."

I think this quote is enormously interesting, and pretty much what I had guessed.  There certainly seems to be a strong motivation to fight the good fight against the delusional religious folk who are trying to spread this anti-intellectual disease among the masses, like thinking Voldemort was real, or something.

Except that the atheists have figured out that Voldemort isn't real, so we're not scared of him.  We're not fighting Voldemort, we're trying to point out to those claiming to be disciples of Dumbledore that neither Voldemort or Dumbledore have evidence that they exist.  We're asking them why they think Dumbledore exists.

Frankly, here's one of the problems that I touched on in the OP.

You don't see how blatantly condescending it is to compare a belief system which has been around for a couple of thousand years, held firmly by brilliant minds, written about in countless volumes and has been enormously influential in lives across the world to Dumbledore? 

You think so little of my belief system that you see it as the equivalent to being a disciple of Dumbledore, and yet you continue to return here to the tune of more than 11 posts a day?  If you think so little of these beliefs, why bother to interact with them aside from some personal, anti-religious crusade? 

lucious

• 4631 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:17:25 am »
Comparison to fictional creatures is more needless intentional antsgonism.

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 12:25:37 am »
Ail, it's actually you not understanding the burden of proof.

Then enlighten me.  What do you think the burden of proof is?

You don't see how blatantly condescending it is to compare a belief system which has been around for a couple of thousand years, held firmly by brilliant minds, written about in countless volumes and has been enormously influential in lives across the world to Dumbledore? 

You think so little of my belief system that you see it as the equivalent to being a disciple of Dumbledore, and yet you continue to return here to the tune of more than 11 posts a day?  If you think so little of these beliefs, why bother to interact with them aside from some personal, anti-religious crusade? 

So you don't like the Harry Potter analogy.  That's fine.  How about Zeus?  Zeus was believed in longer than the Christian god.  What about Shiva?  Not only have people believed in Shiva longer than Jesus, but there are people alive today who still believe in Shiva.  Would you be OK with a comparison to Shiva?  What about Allah?  Can we compare Yahweh to Allah?  Is there any comparison of your god that you would accept?

It's not that I think so little of your belief system.  It's that I think your belief in a god is incorrect.  I interact with things that I disagree with simply because that's something I do.  Every day I try to read or watch something that I disagree with.  That eventually lead me to this forum.  There's no shortage of things I disagree with here, so it works out well for me.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

12thMonkey

• 185 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 12:33:50 am »

And that's why I made the original post. 

After Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, Pascal, Leibniz, Descartes... modern philosophers like Swinburne, Plantinga, Inwagen...

You still insist on coming into a Christian philosophy forum and claiming that these beliefs have no greater warrant than Dumbledore. 

And you're still so obsessed with it that you're making 11 posts a day.

What's wrong with this picture? 

12thMonkey

• 185 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 12:38:46 am »

So you don't like the Harry Potter analogy.  That's fine.  How about Zeus?  Zeus was believed in longer than the Christian god.  What about Shiva?  Not only have people believed in Shiva longer than Jesus, but there are people alive today who still believe in Shiva.  Would you be OK with a comparison to Shiva?  What about Allah?  Can we compare Yahweh to Allah?  Is there any comparison of your god that you would accept?

It's not that I think so little of your belief system.  It's that I think your belief in a god is incorrect.  I interact with things that I disagree with simply because that's something I do.  Every day I try to read or watch something that I disagree with.  That eventually lead me to this forum.  There's no shortage of things I disagree with here, so it works out well for me.

"So you don't like the Harry Potter analogy.  That's fine."

No I don't.

And no it's not.

The fact that you don't seem to understand why that's a problem is the issue I addressed in my initial post.  Thanks for making my point for me. 

lancia

• 5878 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 12:39:35 am »
Interesting thread. A certain segment of committed believers and committed atheists here may be kindred spirits. Both are sure of their beliefs apparently without testable evidence to support such certainty. Thus both may feel at home on this forum. Some theists here actually seem to boast about being committed atheists at one time. Similarly, some atheists here have mentioned the time in their lives when they were committed believers. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think one is just seeing the opposite sides of the same coin.

Why am I here? I don’t know for sure. (Hah! Get it?) Maybe I just like arguing with both groups—most theists because of my positive stance on evolution and Universalism and most atheists (i.e., those that are liberal, which is most) because of my conservative stance on politics.

Hawke123

• 2415 Posts
  • So much to learn so little time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 12:53:00 am »

And that's why I made the original post. 

After Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, Pascal, Leibniz, Descartes... modern philosophers like Swinburne, Plantinga, Inwagen...

You still insist on coming into a Christian philosophy forum and claiming that these beliefs have no greater warrant than Dumbledore. 

And you're still so obsessed with it that you're making 11 posts a day.

What's wrong with this picture?
Excellent post.
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister

“It is always so much easier to attack someone else's position than to create and defend your own.” – Glenn Miller

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 12:59:44 am »

No I don't.

And no it's not.

The fact that you don't seem to understand why that's a problem is the issue I addressed in my initial post.  Thanks for making my point for me.

What I meant by "That's fine." is that I'm fine with you not liking that analogy.  I'm happy to use a different analogy.  What do you think about an analogy with Zeus, or Shiva, or Allah?  Is there any analogy that you would accept, or are all analogies bad?

I do understand why theists don't like analogies.  On the flip side, I don't think that theists understand our side of that coin.  Do you understand why we compare your god to other gods, like Zeus, and Shiva, and Allah, and then to non-gods like Santa, Bigfoot, and Voldemort?

Why do I make 11 posts a day?  Well, it's to try and explain to theists why I use analogies with things they don't believe in.  It's to try and explain what it means to be atheist.  It's to try and explain why Anselm's arguments don't convince me that a god exists.  It's to try to explain why Aquinas's second way doesn't demonstrate a god.  It's to try and explain that I actually don't worship the devil (OK that's not a common theme here on this forum, but plenty of theists believe it).  It's to try and explain that even though the bible says that I know that god exists, that I actually don't.  Just look at this thread.  How many of my 11 daily posts did I spend talking to you?
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

Rostos

• 10415 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 01:03:58 am »

No I don't.

And no it's not.

What I meant by "That's fine." is that I'm fine with you not liking that analogy.  I'm happy to use a different analogy.  What do you think about an analogy with Zeus, or Shiva, or Allah?  Is there any analogy that you would accept, or are all analogies bad?

I do understand why theists don't like analogies.  On the flip side, I don't think that theists understand our side of that coin.  Do you understand why we compare your god to other gods, like Zeus, and Shiva, and Allah, and then to non-gods like Santa, Bigfoot, and Voldemort?

Why do I make 11 posts a day?  Well, it's to try and explain to theists why I use analogies with things they don't believe in.  It's to try and explain what it means to be atheist.  It's to try and explain why Anselm's arguments don't convince me that a god exists.  It's to try to explain why Aquinas's second way doesn't demonstrate a god.  It's to try and explain that I actually don't worship the devil (OK that's not a common theme here on this forum, but plenty of theists believe it).  It's to try and explain that even though the bible says that I know that god exists, that I actually don't.  Just look at this thread.  How many of my 11 daily posts did I spend talking to you?

Zeus and Shiva are non creation gods, so it is a categorical error to compare them against Christianity.

Allah is just an arabic word for God.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

12thMonkey

• 185 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 01:16:56 am »

No I don't.

And no it's not.

"What I meant by "That's fine." is that I'm fine with you not liking that analogy."

Yes.  I understood what you meant.  The problem isn't that "theists don't like analogies", it's that your mindset is one of condescension when interacting with theists on a theist forum, and pulling "disciples of Dumbledore" out doesn't strike you as the slightest bit problematic. 

And yes, I also understand why you post as often as you do.  It's because you're driven to explain to the god-believers how irrational what they believe is, and you do so with a fervor equal to any of the Dumbledore disciples you look down upon.  You do realize that your entire final paragraph consisted of things you need to explain to theists, right? 

lucious

• 4631 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 01:19:44 am »
The silly "one god further " trope is just ignorant.

Its why I recommended DBHs book as some conceptual therapy. Feser addresses this too. I'll link shortly.

Keith_

• 4660 Posts
  • Be neither credulous nor skeptical. Be objective.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 01:39:43 am »
Awesome thread. Y'all did beautifully considering AiL was trolling the thread dropping every offensive bomb in his inventory. 
-Keith
Thanks again, good thread.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:54:43 pm by Keith_ »
Eccl.1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 01:49:43 am »

No I don't.

And no it's not.

"What I meant by "That's fine." is that I'm fine with you not liking that analogy."

Yes.  I understood what you meant.

OK, but you said that it wasn't fine in your reply to me.  Do you disagree that I should be fine with you not liking the analogy and willing to use different ones?  It sounds like you're trying to get me to be the evil atheist who forces an analogy on you that you don't like.  I don't understand why you would have a problem with my willingness to interact with you in the least offensive way possible.

The problem isn't that "theists don't like analogies", it's that your mindset is one of condescension when interacting with theists on a theist forum, and pulling "disciples of Dumbledore" out doesn't strike you as the slightest bit problematic.

OK, I got that analogy from your talk about Harry Potter.  You mentioned it, so I assumed you would be familiar with it and understand the dichotomy between Dumbledore and Voldemort (actually, shouldn't it be Harry and Voldemort?) is at least in some way analogous to the dichotomy between Yahweh and Satan.  It wasn't an equivocation between Yahweh and Dumbledore.  Analogies aren't equivocations.  I think you're reading too much out of the analogy. 

Try reading what we write in the way you would want us to read your posts.  If you read our posts with the idea that we are condescending and ignorant in your mind, then you'll have a very skewed view of us.  Give us at least as much credit as you'd like us to give you.  Should I take all of your posts as condescending and rude?  Much of what you're reading from our posts isn't written into them.

And yes, I also understand why you post as often as you do.  It's because you're driven to explain to the god-believers how irrational what they believe is, and you do so with a fervor equal to any of the Dumbledore disciples you look down upon.  You do realize that your entire final paragraph consisted of things you need to explain to theists, right?

Yes, I do realize that my entire final paragraph consisted of things that need to be explained to theists.  That's what I intended it to be.  It all helps to explain why atheists post a lot on theistic boards like this one.  Theists often have problems understanding those things.  I've actually been called a devil worshiper on several occasions by Christians who found out I was atheist.  Those things are legitimate reasons to converse with theists.

kurros

• 11765 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 02:18:52 am »

I don't understand the thought process involved in being a constant forum presence while continuing to attack every aspect of the board, and I can't be the only one that notices that the most vocal atheist posters also seem to be the most unhappy with their fellow posters, the topics, Christian philosophy, and Craig himself. 

I would assume that if you have multiple thousands of posts, you enjoy the board, other posters, some of the topics, and have at least some mild respect for Craig.  But I just don't get that sense here. 

Am I wrong?  What am I missing?

Yeah you're mostly wrong I think. I'd say most atheists here enjoy the board for the most part, as well as the other posters, some topics, and they don't hate Craig. There are just a few things worth complaining about now and then. And I'd say atheists complain about them *because* they like this board and don't want to see it flooded with poor posts.