Read 7053 times

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Athiests-- Why are you here?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 09:06:24 am »
If you ask me, a far better question to ask atheists is "why are we here?"

That's a silly question.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Lucian

• 2589 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 09:09:49 am »
I'm here on the basis of a recommendation.

LADZDAZL

• 6483 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 05:28:41 pm »
When you think about it, its pretty absurd.

If you are an atheist, then you believe this is the only life you have and therefore makes every second extremely precious. Why would you waste those precious seconds arguing against people about a being you dont believe exists.

I could understand someone coming here with an open mind and seeing "whats out there", but if you are still unconvinced, it seriously doesnt make sense to keep coming back.

We do it ... because we care :)
Life is a box of chocolates!

LADZDAZL

• 6483 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »
And I don't mean this as an attack, but as a serious question.

OK, I'll treat it seriously.

I'm absolutely perplexed by the amount of time and number of posts many of the atheists devote to this Christian philosophy website.  I see many atheist posters with post counts in the multiple thousands, commenting on virtually every thread, often dwarfing the post counts of their theist counterparts.

If there were no atheists, this forum would be full of theists all telling each other about how their faith is reasonable.  I suppose that may sound fun to some people.  I find echo chambers to be miserable places.  You need people with different views on a forum.  Otherwise, you'll run out of topics to talk about.

Furthermore, the atheist posters are found to be frequently complaining about the quality of the board, the quality of the theist posters, and the intellectual vacuousness of the founder of the forums.

That's odd.  I've noticed that the atheist posters on this board do very little complaining, and only address WLC when a theist brings him up.  Same thing with Richard Dawkins.  The theists bring him up, not the atheists.

Can someone explain this mentality to me?  I don't like Harry Potter, so I don't frequent Harry Potter forums.  I don't like the New York Knicks, so I don't find myself on New York Knicks forums.  I don't go onto Twilight forums and belittle the readers, or put down the author.  On occasion I will go on a Buddhist forum, or a Hindu forum, I'll read some topics, possibly ask a question, maybe respond, and then I leave.

I think I can explain things to you, so I'm going to try.  Harry Potter is a cool book.  Well a few cool books, but I can understand that you don't like them.  That's OK.  I wonder what you would do if 80% of the population all thought Voldemort was real, and that Dumbledore was infallible and the author of morality.  What if that 80% of the population tried to force you to accept Dumbledore's morality and said that you were the minion of Voldemort and were going to burn in a lake of fire for all of eternity if you don't believe in Dumbledore's infallible perfection?  Would you just dismiss them as being insane?  Or would you do like the atheists here on this forum do, and actually try to engage with them see if there really is something to those beliefs?  What would you do if they told you that the belief in Dumbledore's infallible perfection is something that everyone knows about, and to question it is to abandon all intellectual honesty because such beliefs are properly basic?

You see, of the atheists that dislike religion, they don't dislike religion in the same way that you dislike the New York Knicks.  Comparing an atheist's views of religion to someone who doesn't like the Knicks is an exceedingly poor analogy.  Try just asking us what we think about something.  We'll be happy to tell you.

I don't understand the thought process involved in being a constant forum presence while continuing to attack every aspect of the board, and I can't be the only one that notices that the most vocal atheist posters also seem to be the most unhappy with their fellow posters, the topics, Christian philosophy, and Craig himself.

There are a few atheist posters who are unhappy with Keith_ and Lucious right now.  That's really all I can think of.  The other fellow posters are fine.  We think they are wrong about the whole god thing, but we're happy to talk to them.  Keith_ and Lucious are pretty gritty.  (I should give Keith_ some credit.  His posting most recently has become more friendly and less offensive.  It's not where I'd like it to be, but it's getting better.  As they say, credit where credit is due.)

I don't recall atheists complaining about the topics.  Unless you mean us objecting to the onslaught of Keith's posts about "New Atheism", and Lucious's insults directed at anyone who has the nerve to disagree with him.  We usually bring something up when we want to talk about it.

Atheists aren't unhappy with Christian philosophy.  We don't agree with it, but we aren't unhappy with it.  Craig himself is a different story.  We have plenty of respect for Craig.  We don't respect his arguments, and are happy to show where he is wrong, and explain why he is wrong, but we don't have anything against the man himself.

I would assume that if you have multiple thousands of posts, you enjoy the board, other posters, some of the topics, and have at least some mild respect for Craig.  But I just don't get that sense here. 

Am I wrong?  What am I missing? 

We do have respect for Craig.  We just don't think he is right and are happy to show why.  Having respect for someone and agreeing to everything they say are not the same thing.

Well, I never suggested all atheists should leave.  The reason I pop in occasionally is to see the give and take between some of the ideas on this forum.  I'm specifically questioning the ones who seem to maintain this as a second job, and yet have little good to say regarding their interaction with the topics, other posters, or Craig.

"You see, of the atheists that dislike religion, they don't dislike religion in the same way that you dislike the New York Knicks."

I think this quote is enormously interesting, and pretty much what I had guessed.  There certainly seems to be a strong motivation to fight the good fight against the delusional religious folk who are trying to spread this anti-intellectual disease among the masses, like thinking Voldemort was real, or something.

Except that the atheists have figured out that Voldemort isn't real, so we're not scared of him.  We're not fighting Voldemort, we're trying to point out to those claiming to be disciples of Dumbledore that neither Voldemort or Dumbledore have evidence that they exist.  We're asking them why they think Dumbledore exists.

Frankly, here's one of the problems that I touched on in the OP.

You don't see how blatantly condescending it is to compare a belief system which has been around for a couple of thousand years, held firmly by brilliant minds, written about in countless volumes and has been enormously influential in lives across the world to Dumbledore? 

You think so little of my belief system that you see it as the equivalent to being a disciple of Dumbledore, and yet you continue to return here to the tune of more than 11 posts a day?  If you think so little of these beliefs, why bother to interact with them aside from some personal, anti-religious crusade?

You've forgotten the point of the comparison. Liking Harry Potter does not have the same societal impact as believing the truth of Harry Potter would.  The distinction is about likes/beliefs and the impact they have. Not whether those like/beliefs are justified.
Life is a box of chocolates!

bdsimon

• 7047 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 06:01:05 pm »
If you ask me, a far better question to ask atheists is "why are we here?"

That's a silly question.
What do you mean by silly?
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Rostos

• 10415 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 07:10:02 pm »
When you think about it, its pretty absurd.

If you are an atheist, then you believe this is the only life you have and therefore makes every second extremely precious. Why would you waste those precious seconds arguing against people about a being you dont believe exists.

I could understand someone coming here with an open mind and seeing "whats out there", but if you are still unconvinced, it seriously doesnt make sense to keep coming back.

We do it ... because we care :)

Care about?
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

lucious

• 4633 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »
And I don't mean this as an attack, but as a serious question.

I'm absolutely perplexed by the amount of time and number of posts many of the atheists devote to this Christian philosophy website.  I see many atheist posters with post counts in the multiple thousands, commenting on virtually every thread, often dwarfing the post counts of their theist counterparts. 

Furthermore, the atheist posters are found to be frequently complaining about the quality of the board, the quality of the theist posters, and the intellectual vacuousness of the founder of the forums. 

Can someone explain this mentality to me?  I don't like Harry Potter, so I don't frequent Harry Potter forums.  I don't like the New York Knicks, so I don't find myself on New York Knicks forums.  I don't go onto Twilight forums and belittle the readers, or put down the author.  On occasion I will go on a Buddhist forum, or a Hindu forum, I'll read some topics, possibly ask a question, maybe respond, and then I leave. 

I don't understand the thought process involved in being a constant forum presence while continuing to attack every aspect of the board, and I can't be the only one that notices that the most vocal atheist posters also seem to be the most unhappy with their fellow posters, the topics, Christian philosophy, and Craig himself. 

I would assume that if you have multiple thousands of posts, you enjoy the board, other posters, some of the topics, and have at least some mild respect for Craig.  But I just don't get that sense here. 

Am I wrong?  What am I missing?

Atheists tend to like truth (sharing and defending it) and epistemic virtue. I guess we're just some kind of epistemic saints.

Why do you like truth and epistemic virtue?

Why do you value these things, in your worldview?

hatsoff

• 6273 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 10:28:45 pm »
I for one am here purely for enjoyment.  I love history, Christianity, philosophy, and psychology, and on this forum those subjects all converge.  I also kinda like arguing with people ; )

Rostos

• 10415 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 11:16:00 pm »
I for one am here purely for enjoyment.  I love history, Christianity, philosophy, and psychology, and on this forum those subjects all converge.  I also kinda like arguing with people ; )

Do you discuss Islam with Muslims on Islam boards?
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Lightfoot

• 7645 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 11:52:17 pm »
I think my question is more with atheists who ridicule or mock. What a waste of time and life. I can understand others who enjoy discussing these things, and might find personal interests with the subject matter. The ones I don't understand are the people who engage in mockery.
"Looking back, my life seems to be one long obstacle course, with me as the chief obstacle." - Jack Paar

Pragmatic

• 4006 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2016, 01:30:45 am »

Do you discuss Islam with Muslims on Islam boards?

Why does this matter? As far as religious apologetics forums go, this forum is probably one of the more popular ones. Furthermore most of us live in the Western world and are most familiar with Christianity, not Islam. So again I'm not sure what you're driving at.
Religion was born when the first con man met the first fool.

Andyboinen

• 105 Posts
  • I'm an asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2016, 06:58:35 am »
Think about it this way. What fun would a Christian forum be without altering opinions on a topic? As others have stated, you'd run out of things to say. "Oh wow, we all believe in the same deity? I like this deity. I pray to this deity every day. Do you pray to that deity, too?"
That could be a reason for why Atheists are attracted to this platform.

Your analogy about Harry Potter, New York Knicks and Twilight is weird, in the sense that no one is enforcing it on anyone - so that would explain why you're not interested in their forums. However, since Christianity is such a popular religion, it's a relevant part of western societies - worth talking about. Might I add, Islam is also very relevant now. This website is simply a convenient place to establish these relevant topics.

Your core question towards Atheists specifically, "Why are you here?" is interesting by itself. Because ironically, if you are religious at all you are 99.99% Atheist.  ♪♪Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself♪♪
For there is no respect of persons with God. - Romans 2:11