ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
What I think of Trump and Hillary, and, Papa John´s Pizza.
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:32:03 am »
I´m a non U.S-citizen, so, my opinion is worthless.

But, I do have an opinion.

I think Trump and Hillary are strong evidence that people from the U.S. have lost  (if they ever had one) their moral compass, and, are unable to stand together against what is clearly wrong.

The only option for people with a clear moral compass is to vote blank, and, ask for better choices.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:53:10 pm by ontologicalme »

Bertuzzi

• 8713 Posts
  • Check out my new blog!
    • View Profile
    • Capturing Christianity
Re: What I think of Trump and Hillary.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:41 am »
They had plenty of chance to get other choices.
Husband. Father. Photographer. Blogger.

capturingchristianity.com

"No theodicy without eschatology." - Hick

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:52:56 am »
Our system doesn't work that way.  If none of the public votes, everything will still work just fine.  The public has practically no impact on national elections.  They certainly count at the local levels, but that's a different story.  We (the U.S. people) had nothing to do with getting Hillary and Trump into the positions they are in.

I do agree that neither of those two choices are worthy of the position.  Unfortunately, one of them will get it and there isn't anything the population can do about it.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

phidiasv

• 1019 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 12:16:14 pm »
I don't know if your opinion is worthless. As someone from the outside looking in, your perspective might be valuable to those of us here, caught up in the craziness.

For my part, I'm skeptical that the current political situation is a result of the character of the American electorate changing for the worse. I'm more partial to explanations that have to do with the political and governmental structures in the US leading to the present state as an inevitable outcome. Which isn't a great thing, as those are pretty hard to change.

kurros

• 12196 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:48 pm »

I´m a non U.S-citizen, so, my opinion is worthless.

But, I do have an opinion.

I think Trump and Hillary are strong evidence that people from the U.S. have lost  (if they ever had one) their moral compass, and, are unable to stand together against what is clearly wrong.

The only option for people with a clear moral compass is to vote blank, and, ask for better choices.

As I understand it, they are voting for senate seats as well as president yes? Should at least vote wisely there, whatever else you do.

Gordon Tubbs

• 5819 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 03:41:37 pm »
There is a pizza restaurant company in the US that is pretty good: Papa John's.

They have a catchy slogan: better ingredients, better pizza, Papa John's.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the Presidential race, our ingredients are chosen first by the national conventions and secondly by the media outlets. We get a plethora of ingredients upfront, but realize that we like our pizza simple: cheese, pepperoni, and maybe some red onion. We then find out that the pepperoni was made in a disease-ridden factory, and that the onions were grown by somebody who also deals with a competitor that we don't like at all (Pizza Hut).

We are then served a sub-standard slice of pizza. And we eat it, because pizza is pizza.

The reality is, there is a better pizza out there every single time we go through this process. But this pizza doesn't want to go national and so we never hear about it, or it has some ingredients that the national conventions don't approve of.

After coming to this realization, we go back to the two big pizzas that are offered to us and decide that in the grand scheme of things, even if we don't eat the whole pie, there are a few slices that look really delicious, and so we buy that pizza just for those few slices.
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 03:52:02 pm »
Gordon,

As someone who makes his own pizza, my advice is to not buy pizza from the store. You don't know what they put in half of the time and the other half of the time it doesn't taste as good as home-made pizza. But it's true that the US elections are as you descibed. Unfortunately, I don't see the system change any time soon. The system is built to resist real change.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 03:53:10 pm »

Exactly, that´s what I said.

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
There has been major compromise with both selected candidates. Big names, no substance.

Hilary has been given the female nod, as the potential 1st, above her credentials.
And Trump the straight talker, above his moral virtues too.

To say what goes on in private lives doesn't matter is naive at best, dangerous at worst. A man/woman who can betray his/her marital vows, can betray his oath before the nation.

He that is faithful in little, is faithful in much.
He that is unfaithful in little, will be unfaithful in much.

The idea tha giving a man or woman the title of POTUS, somehow grants them a mantle that will make them do right is crazy. How many previous Presidents have compromised their position?

Both parties need different candidates. But, unfortunately, the US people have chosen status above substance. You'll get the candidate you've elected. There were plenty of other candidates to choose from.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Gordon Tubbs

• 5819 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:53 pm »
Gordon,

As someone who makes his own pizza, my advice is to not buy pizza from the store. You don't know what they put in half of the time and the other half of the time it doesn't taste as good as home-made pizza. But it's true that the US elections are as you descibed. Unfortunately, I don't see the system change any time soon. The system is built to resist real change.

Let's trade secrets. I am a home pizza enthusiast. PM inbox me. =)
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 04:40:53 pm »

Papa John´s down in Panamá is awful, I´m sad to report. Never again.

Harvey

• 26297 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 04:46:44 pm »
I think Trump and Hillary are strong evidence that people from the U.S. have lost  (if they ever had one) their moral compass, and, are unable to stand together against what is clearly wrong. The only option for people with a clear moral compass is to vote blank, and, ask for better choices.

The people who are to blame are those Americans who voted for both of them in the nomination process. I certainly blame any Republican who voted for Trump in the nomination process. As a result they lost us one, two, maybe three Supreme Court seats. They should take responsibility and apologize to the country. Many Republican politicians tried to warn them but they would not listen. So, now they get Clinton and the consequences that follow. Unfortunately the early Trump supporter is unlikely to take any moral responsibility for their choice.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »
Gordon,

Let's trade secrets. I am a home pizza enthusiast. PM inbox me. =)

Haha :) I'm on low carb, which means no pizza. But the main secret is a hot oven. The hotter the better. Regular ovens won't make pizzas as they meant to be.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 04:56:45 pm »
I mentioned that the system resists real change. I mean this literally. If real change came along, he or she would be assassinated so that the system remains unchanged. The system is corrupt.

Spero

• 1537 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 05:50:17 pm »
I think Trump and Hillary are strong evidence that people from the U.S. have lost  (if they ever had one) their moral compass, and, are unable to stand together against what is clearly wrong. The only option for people with a clear moral compass is to vote blank, and, ask for better choices.

The people who are to blame are those Americans who voted for both of them in the nomination process. I certainly blame any Republican who voted for Trump in the nomination process. As a result they lost us one, two, maybe three Supreme Court seats. They should take responsibility and apologize to the country. Many Republican politicians tried to warn them but they would not listen. So, now they get Clinton and the consequences that follow. Unfortunately the early Trump supporter is unlikely to take any moral responsibility for their choice.
I'm feeling the same way, Harvey. The one person HRC is capable of defeating wins the Republican nomination. However, I'm not going to blame them for and HRC presidency, yet. While I'm 99% certain the man will lose, there's still that nagging 1%.  If that happens, I'll blame them for a Trump presidency. LOL.
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18