General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 3882 times

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:16:31 pm »

This is not the place to argue if there can be a mutual understanding between theists and non theists, or how we can be more open, or Christian, or what not.

This thread assumes the obvious conclusion that intolerance will continue to grow among each group, each ascribing  the other  irrationality, bigotry and lastly (given enough time): unhumanness.

What should we Christians as a social block should be doing?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:40:24 pm by ontologicalme »

bdsimon

• 7137 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile

I guess it depends on what your goal is in posting here. My goal here is to gain understanding to be used elsewhere with people I interact with on a daily basis.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Gordon Tubbs

• 5830 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
Love your neighbor, then ask yourself what behavior that love is supposed to prescribe.
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

toknowthetruth

• 810 Posts
    • View Profile
This is not the place to argue if there can be a mutual understanding between theists and non theists, or how we can be more open, or Christian, or what not.

This thread assumes the obvious conclusion that intolerance will continue to grow among each group, each ascribing  the other  irrationality, bigotry and lastly (given enough time): unhumanness.

This is sometimes my approach, which I find useful in other scenarios, but especially when confronted with someone who begins to show signs of being extremely biased in his position, whether theist or atheist. Once I feel I've presented my case clearly and have a pretty good idea there aren't any misunderstanding involved on my side, as gracefully as possible I bow out of the conversation by saying something like, "That's how you see it and you're welcome to you're own opinion. Personally I don't see it that way and don't find what you're saying convincing. Thanks anyhow for the exchange." I don't see any obligation as a Christian to do otherwise. In my opinion it's better the trust the Lord to take care of things that are beyond my capacity. He's got a lot better resources than I do. :-)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:34:49 pm by toknowthetruth »

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile

I guess it depends on what your goal is in posting here. My goal here is to gain understanding to be used elsewhere with people I interact with on a daily basis.

This is not related to the topic of the OP.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
Love your neighbor, then ask yourself what behavior that love is supposed to prescribe.

I explicitely said this was not the topic of this thread.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile

This is sometimes my approach, which I find useful in other scenarios, but especially when confronted with someone who begins to show signs of being extremely biased in his position, whether theist or atheist. Once I feel I've presented my case clearly and have a pretty good idea there aren't any misunderstanding involved on my side, as gracefully as possible I bow out of the conversation by saying something like, "That's how you see it and you're welcome to you're own opinion. Personally I don't see it that way and don't find what you're saying convincing. Thanks anyhow for the exchange." I don't see any obligation as a Christian to do otherwise. In my opinion it's better the trust the Lord to take care of things that are beyond my capacity. He's got a lot better resources than I do. :-)

Hey. T, I like you, but, this is not the topic of this thread : )

Gordon Tubbs

• 5830 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog

No, you're right, "loving your neighbor" is something that Jesus intended to be compartmentalized into behavioral obscurity. Come on brother. We're better than that.

PM me if you disagree.
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

bdsimon

• 7137 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile

This is not related to the topic of the OP.
Okay, if you say so.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Lucian

• 2724 Posts
    • View Profile

No, you're right, "loving your neighbor" is something that Jesus intended to be compartmentalized into behavioral obscurity. Come on brother. We're better than that.

PM me if you disagree.

PM's aren't the topic of this thread!

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: TO: Since there will be no mutual understanding what measures are in order?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 02:45:16 pm »

PM me if you disagree.

I disagree that "loving your neighbor" is something that Jesus intended to be compartmentalized into behavioral obscurity.

I disagree that I am better than that.

But, this is still not the topic of the OP, since, I was asking for social measures, as a social group.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »

PM me if you disagree.

Nor ahteist's posts. But, you already knew that.

Lucian

• 2724 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 02:49:24 pm »

PM me if you disagree.

Nor ahteist's posts. But, you already knew that.

Hey, I'm not an atheist.

aleph naught

• 7392 Posts
  • For the glory of the Canadian empire.
    • View Profile
Re: What ever.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 02:49:28 pm »
No longer a TO thread, the spell has been broken and I'm in! You'll never get rid of me now.

Apparition

• 980 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: .
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 04:50:04 pm »
Is this where I put the signature?