General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 3881 times

wonderer

• 15449 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: .
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 04:51:57 pm »
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

toknowthetruth

• 810 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: TO: Since there will be no mutual understanding what measures are in order?
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 05:15:32 pm »
This is not the place to argue if there can be a mutual understanding between theists and non theists, or how we can be more open, or Christian, or what not.

This thread assumes the obvious conclusion that intolerance will continue to grow among each group, each ascribing  the other  irrationality, bigotry and lastly (given enough time): unhumanness.

What should we Christians as a social block should be doing?

This is sometimes my approach, which I find useful in other scenarios, but especially when confronted with someone who begins to show signs of being extremely biased in his position, whether theist or atheist. Once I feel I've presented my case clearly and have a pretty good idea there aren't any misunderstanding involved on my side, as gracefully as possible I bow out of the conversation by saying something like, "That's how you see it and you're welcome to you're own opinion. Personally I don't see it that way and don't find what you're saying convincing. Thanks anyhow for the exchange." I don't see any obligation as a Christian to do otherwise. In my opinion it's better the trust the Lord to take care of things that are beyond my capacity. He's got a lot better resources than I do. :-)

Hey. T, I like you, but, this is not the topic of this thread : )

Oh. OK. What I was trying to say in a round about way is, besides how I approach it on a personal level, the only other measure I see is in order is to put it in the Lord's hands and let Him take care of it. There's not much else I see can be done whether individually or as a social block. But maybe I'm still not getting the gist of the kind of comment you're looking for?

Lucian

• 2724 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 05:22:29 pm »

wonderer

• 15449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 05:28:03 pm »
This is not the place to argue if there can be a mutual understanding between theists and non theists, or how we can be more open, or Christian, or what not.

This thread assumes the obvious conclusion that intolerance will continue to grow among each group, each ascribing  the other  irrationality, bigotry and lastly (given enough time): unhumanness.

This is sometimes my approach, which I find useful in other scenarios, but especially when confronted with someone who begins to show signs of being extremely biased in his position, whether theist or atheist. Once I feel I've presented my case clearly and have a pretty good idea there aren't any misunderstanding involved on my side, as gracefully as possible I bow out of the conversation by saying something like, "That's how you see it and you're welcome to you're own opinion. Personally I don't see it that way and don't find what you're saying convincing. Thanks anyhow for the exchange." I don't see any obligation as a Christian to do otherwise. In my opinion it's better the trust the Lord to take care of things that are beyond my capacity. He's got a lot better resources than I do. :-)

Oh. OK. What I was trying to say in a round about way is, besides how I approach it on a personal level, the only other measure I see is in order is to put it in the Lord's hands and let Him take care of it. There's not much else I see can be done whether individually or as a social block. But maybe I'm still not getting the gist of the kind of comment you're looking for?

My impression is that something like a holy war is what OM is looking for.  He talks about force a lot in contexts like this.

"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

D. Alexander

• 3604 Posts
  • Saucerfulo secrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 05:29:18 pm »

My impression is that something like a holy war is what OM is looking for.  He talks about force a lot in contexts like this.
I know, as if his profile pic isn't incriminating enough.

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 05:42:17 pm »

To address the op:

?

He usually does the same dumb thing of making a thread about something and then completely deleting the  op and title and replacing it with dots or stuff like that.

¿why? Because his ego demands it probably. At least that's my theory.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »
That´s because you are both morons and ill intended.

The OP explicitly asks about Christians as a social block should be doing, not as an army or anything like that?

Organizing themselves politically, to push for certain kinds of laws, vote for certain candidates, protect their way  of life as a whole society,etc...

Yes, I talk about violence, because, violence is part of our reality, and any society incapable of it, at least, to defend itself is most probably doomed to disappear.

The picture is a picture of a crusader, those who defended occident against  the land grabbing and religious abuses of a more intolerant Islam, that it was known, before the time.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:53:46 pm by ontologicalme »

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 05:51:42 pm »

To address the op:

?

He usually does the same dumb thing of making a thread about something and then completely deleting the  op and title and replacing it with dots or stuff like that.

¿why? Because his ego demands it probably. At least that's my theory.

I didn´t call you dumb, nor said anything mean to you. So what´s your problem with me?

Why are you attacking me?
why are you calling me dumb.

What is it up to you, what I do or not do?

Or is it that you like to be an asshole for no reason?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:55:14 pm by ontologicalme »

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »

Don´t worry about it, thanks for your answer.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:06:10 pm by ontologicalme »

neopolitan

• 2879 Posts
  • They don't tolerate intolerance of bigotry here
    • View Profile
    • neopolitan's philosophical
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »

To address the op:

?

Off topic.

Off topic isn't the topic of this thread. Please desist.

The thread has no topic ... well, other than a full stop.  And I've had four of those so far in this response.  (Make that five)

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »

Segregation.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 06:46:28 pm »

I didn´t call you dumb, nor said anything mean to you. So what´s your problem with me?

I find you quite obnoxious, but that's just my opinion.

I didn't call you dumb, I said I think it was a dumb thing you do, not that you are dumb.

You can do as you want, someone simply asked and I gave my opinion.

Sometimes I do, but this is not the case.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 06:54:19 pm »

I find you quite obnoxious, but that's just my opinion.

I didn't call you dumb, I said I think it was a dumb thing you do, not that you are dumb.

You can do as you want, someone simply asked and I gave my opinion.

Sometimes I do, but this is not the case.

What I do or not is obviously not your business.

You are right, I am quite obnoxious, specially, when people get on my wrong side, for no reason.

That your father and mother hate your guts does not give you the right to misstreat people that havent done anything to you.

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 06:58:34 pm »
That your father and mother hate your guts does not give you the right to misstreat people that havent done anything to you.

They didn't gave me any right obviously. I gave it to myself.

neopolitan

• 2879 Posts
  • They don't tolerate intolerance of bigotry here
    • View Profile
    • neopolitan's philosophical
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 07:04:00 pm »
Can people really not disagree without claiming that their opponents' parents didn't love them?

Way to go with the christian love and tolerance, OM.  I'm guessing that is the OT coming out in you, right?