Choose Your Own Topic

Read 808 times

SPF

• 1963 Posts
    • View Profile
Flat Earth Theory: Light Argument
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:53:49 am »
https://youtu.be/lYUjg3Ubv_4

The light argument begins at about the 20 minute, 30 second mark. 

For the record, I am not a FE proponent.  I am curious though what the response is about the light argument from people who are smarter than me.
"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

searcherman

• 3082 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Theory: Light Argument
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:00:13 am »
The blue sky is due to the fact that the size of the oxygen and nitrogen molecules matches the blue end of the spectrum, thereby reflecting it. One can see this on the space and high altitude balloon fotos. This is Trinity levels of laughable stuff.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:16:07 am by searcherman »
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

kurros

• 11833 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:10:10 am »
https://youtu.be/lYUjg3Ubv_4

The light argument begins at about the 20 minute, 30 second mark. 

For the record, I am not a FE proponent.  I am curious though what the response is about the light argument from people who are smarter than me.

Yeah, it is very simple, sunlight scatters off the atmosphere. So it actually does "go past" the buildings and bounce back, off the air. What he describes only happens in vacuum. You can see this if you look at photos taken on the moon, for example, where the shadows are very dark compared to areas lit up by the sun. You get this greater contrast because there is no general diffuse scattered lighted from an atmosphere.

Edit: here's a nice little article from NASA about this effect: https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/03jan_moonshadows
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:19:25 am by kurros »

Bertuzzi

• 8713 Posts
  • Check out my new blog!
    • View Profile
    • Capturing Christianity
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:45:09 am »
I'm actually looking for a flat earther to debate a cosmologist (Barnes), if anyone knows any.
Husband. Father. Photographer. Blogger.

capturingchristianity.com

"No theodicy without eschatology." - Hick

Soren

• 5097 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:11:38 am »
I'm actually looking for a flat earther to debate a cosmologist (Barnes), if anyone knows any.
Why? Do you really believe the flat earth theory is sufficiently credible to justify spending time on?

Bertuzzi

• 8713 Posts
  • Check out my new blog!
    • View Profile
    • Capturing Christianity
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 11:26:55 am »
Why? Do you really believe the flat earth theory is sufficiently credible to justify spending time on?

There are reasons apart from credibility.

Soren

• 5097 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 11:36:30 am »

If you are willing, I would be curious what those reasons are. If not, no worries.

searcherman

• 3082 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 12:01:53 pm »

What's wrong with Trinity?
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

Bertuzzi

• 8713 Posts
  • Check out my new blog!
    • View Profile
    • Capturing Christianity
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 01:51:26 pm »

If you are willing, I would be curious what those reasons are. If not, no worries.

1. By not doing anything, in some sense we are culpable for permitting the flourishing of terribly awful reasoning.
2. It would be pretty entertaining
3. Given 2 the show would get a lot of hits
4. Given 3 more people would be introduced to my channel
5. Given 4 the channel would get more exposure
6. Given 5 more subscribes and more people introduced to critical thinking/philosophy of religion

Those are a few.

Soren

• 5097 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 02:09:26 pm »

1. By not doing anything, in some sense we are culpable for permitting the flourishing of terribly awful reasoning.
2. It would be pretty entertaining
3. Given 2 the show would get a lot of hits
4. Given 3 more people would be introduced to my channel
5. Given 4 the channel would get more exposure
6. Given 5 more subscribes and more people introduced to critical thinking/philosophy of religion

Those are a few.
Cool. There was a meme going around for a while that the earth couldn't be flat because if it was then cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 03:06:26 pm »
Bertuzzi,

Don't you mind being associated with flat-earthers by having them on your channel and giving them a voice? The association might overshadow your good intentions.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Bertuzzi

• 8713 Posts
  • Check out my new blog!
    • View Profile
    • Capturing Christianity
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »
Bertuzzi,

Don't you mind being associated with flat-earthers by having them on your channel and giving them a voice? The association might overshadow your good intentions.

Not too worried about that.