Interest12345

• 381 Posts
    • View Profile
Debate Proposal: Reasonable Faith Does not Exist
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:05:26 pm »
I contend that there is no such thing as reasonable faith.

This is an open challenge to anyone on this page who disagrees. Is there any theist on this forum who will accept my proposal?

Paterfamilia

• 3998 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Proposal: Reasonable Faith Does not Exist
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 10:30:38 am »

This is an open challenge to anyone on this page who disagrees. Is there any theist on this forum who will accept my proposal?

Sure.
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

Paterfamilia

• 3998 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:18:17 am »

Change your mind?
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

bruce culver

• 4626 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:19 am »
I'm not a theist, but that sounds like a loser proposition.

I mean what about the faith we naturalists put in the scientific community? I mean I strongly believe in evolution, but that is largely based on faith I have in the scientific method and the scientific community. Without information obtained from the scientific community, I'd probably have no idea about evolution at all. I don't think my belief in it is 100% based on faith. It does appear to fit the all evidence that I do see, but still my belief is largely based in what I think is my reasonable faith in science and the scientific community.
"The world is my country and my religion is to do good."

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
Faith is like a cheque book. Its when we put into effect, what we believe. We all exercise faith all the time. What matters is what we put our faith in.

A cheque book is only as good as the account it draws upon. The cheque itself has little monetary value. But it does have significant practical value. Because it is the means whereby the holder of said cheque can gain access to the account it is related to. If we believe we have funds in a relevant account, such belief does not cause such funds to be realised. They may exist. My believe may be genuine, reasonable, and based upon fact. But the funds are still in the account, belief does not cause realisation. Faith does. And faith is when we put into effect the belief. i.e. I use the cheque to gain access to the funds in the relevant account.

If I draw on an account, by faith, and get nothing as a result, the flaw is not with faith. It is not with the cheque. Its with the account. I either do not have legitimate access, or the funds do not exist. There is no fault with faith itself. What matters is what we put are faith in.

Reasonable faith? Do I have reason for drawing funds form this account utilising this cheque?

As a christian, yes. The christian draws on the historical facts of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus christ. Accounts of Salvation and redemption are available to be drawn upon, by faith in those accomplished facts. Belief is not enough. Just as belief about an account is not enough. Realisation requires the belief to be put into effect. By exercising faith in the facts.

On the other hand, all manner of claims can be made, upon with we can exercise faith. But what matters is, can they deliver? A cheque, no matter how genuine, cannot draw on an empty or bankrupt account.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

CausalCode

• 948 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:13:15 pm »
I'm not a theist, but that sounds like a loser proposition.

I mean what about the faith we naturalists put in the scientific community? I mean I strongly believe in evolution, but that is largely based on faith I have in the scientific method and the scientific community. Without information obtained from the scientific community, I'd probably have no idea about evolution at all. I don't think my belief in it is 100% based on faith. It does appear to fit the all evidence that I do see, but still my belief is largely based in what I think is my reasonable faith in science and the scientific community.

Science is independent of belief.
You don't need to have faith in science for science to apply.