General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 367 times

mflick737

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
Conception and Evolution of Satan
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:35:35 pm »
Does anyone have a response to the problem of Satan? It seems to me that many scholars think that "satan" or the "devil" in the NT was assimilated into the Jewish culture around the time of the Babylonian exile or through Hellenistic influence. The Jews did believe in an accuser but this agent was more like a tool God used rather than a separate entity that had a will. To me this presents a problem since much of the NT and what Jesus did was casting out demons/defeating the works of Satan, and if this is not an original Jewish thought than that causes me to doubt Jesus' divinity. If anyone could provide a thoughtful response to this I'd be extremely grateful.

PS I'm no scholar in any field so the more basic the explanation the better. Also I'm new to this so I'm not entirely sure this is the proper way to post.

λ-calculus

• 937 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Conception and Evolution of Satan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:21 am »
Hi mflick737, welcome. Try Craig's defenders series on the website. I believe there is a section there where he discusses Satan, angels, and demons.

I'm not well-versed on this topic, but if you can't find anything, I'll do a little reading myself and tell you what I find.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

SPF

• 1963 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:04:56 pm »
if this is not an original Jewish thought than that causes me to doubt Jesus' divinity
Wouldn't the fact that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, and actually rose from the dead help quell any doubts regarding His Divinity?

The Gospel really stands or falls with the resurrection.

I Corinthians 15: Now I would remind you, brothers,[a] of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. 

12 Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.
"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Mammal

• 4594 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:24:16 pm »
But what exactly is this Satan? What are its primary attributes/qualities? Another figment of the old superstitious Judeo-Christian mind? Another projection of the inner psyche...the product of the collective blame game of everything that is bad and evil? I think so.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:55:24 pm »
OP,

Who are these scholars? Are they by any chance 'higher critics'?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1