• 14442 Posts
    • View Profile
How to start a new thread
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »
In order to start a new thread, you have to click the link below:

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/index.php?action=post;board=72.0

You are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:53:29 pm by Jabberwock »
First learn to spell "ironic discussion"...

toknowthetruth

• 810 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: How to start a new thread
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »

You are welcome.

Wonderful! Thanks Jabber! I tried the same thing, but I thought it was supposed to be the version number. So I tried 2.0 and 1.0 and 1.1 and none of them worked. How did you figure out that it was 72.0?

wonderer

• 14890 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:11 am »

You are welcome.

Nice job!
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

toknowthetruth

• 810 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:27:32 am »
Oh, I see now. It's the number that appears at the end of the url when you go to that particular board. For example, Choose your own topic is 72.0 and Community Debates is 78.0. So if I want to start a new thread in Community Debates I can just change the number at the end for the topic I want to do it in like this: https://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/index.php?action=post;board=78.0

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:31:59 pm »
Next solution required:

How to jump to the end of the conversation pages!! Without going through them all!
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Jabberwock

• 14442 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 01:40:22 pm »
Next solution required:

How to jump to the end of the conversation pages!! Without going through them all!

The solution for that has already been posted: change the zero in the thread address to an appropriately high number. For example, this thread address is:

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=1275658022;topic=6051214.0

Change it to e.g.:

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=1275658022;topic=6051214.1000

and you will jump to the last page of the thread.

Language-Gamer

• 7755 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »
Next solution required:

At the end of the url use the formula (n-1)•15.
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 05:18:50 pm »
Next solution required:

The solution for that has already been posted: change the zero in the thread address to an appropriately high number. For example, this thread address is:

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=1275658022;topic=6051214.0

Change it to e.g.:

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=1275658022;topic=6051214.1000

and you will jump to the last page of the thread.

But that's unsustainable. To be faffing around with the web address all the time. Come on RF! Sort it out.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.

Jabberwock

• 14442 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 08:35:30 pm »
But that's unsustainable. To be faffing around with the web address all the time. Come on RF! Sort it out.

I am not sure if acting like they owe you something is going to work that well.

Ethos

• Administrator
  • 390 Posts
  • RF Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 11:47:08 pm »
Hey! Great job, Jabberwock!
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

Ethos

• Administrator
  • 390 Posts
  • RF Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 11:49:47 pm »
While we're at it, the "reply" button takes you straight to the most recent post made in a thread.
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »

To be fair, this is actually unsustainable.  People aren't going to hang around for long if the forum remains like this.  It's just an unpleasant experience.
-- This user will return on the twenty-fourth of July --

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 04:13:57 am »
How to start a poll?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

wonderer

• 14890 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:22:17 am »

To be fair, this is actually unsustainable.  People aren't going to hang around for long if the forum remains like this.  It's just an unpleasant experience.

I agree, they really need to fix this (or better yet roll back to the old setup) if they want to keep an active forum.

A major problem I have is with the non-scrollling banner across the top of the page.  I mostly interact with the forum on a tablet these days, and the banner results in me only being able to see two lines of text when writing a post. 

"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 03:03:35 am »
While we're at it, the "reply" button takes you straight to the most recent post made in a thread.

That maybe so, but it doesn't allow readers to catch up with the latest comments, unless you go backwards afterward.
(By which time you will have made a comment that may have been answered, or you miss an update from someone.)

If I know the last time I viewed/posted on a Thread was around page 4, but the thread is now page 8, I want to read on from where I left off.
(Because several members may have responded)

Even clicking Reply, which allows me to post at the end, does not afford the opportunity to read what has been said.

Without a page number option, its impossible to monitor who has said what during a thread, who has replied, and how one can respond in a conversation.

The numbers are telling. Hardly any Threads have started. And its virtually impossible to discover where conversations are taking place.
The number of posts indicate they have stopped.