Archived

Archived

Read 32460 times

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: How to start a new thread
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:02 am »
But that's unsustainable. To be faffing around with the web address all the time. Come on RF! Sort it out.

I am not sure if acting like they owe you something is going to work that well.

Jabber, RF don't owe me anything. They have provided a Forum platform for discussion. But discussion is diminishing drastically.

The web format may be great, but the purpose of the Forum is discussion, and the new format has killed it. Not by way of the layout, but functionality.
Its hard to navigate, and simple things like page numbers and post a new thread are missing.

Its like Tesla producing a fabulous looking car, with a world record power and range, ....but it has no doors!
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Apparition

• 980 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 09:14:43 am »
But that's unsustainable. To be faffing around with the web address all the time. Come on RF! Sort it out.

I am not sure if acting like they owe you something is going to work that well.

Jabber, RF don't owe me anything. They have provided a Forum platform for discussion. But discussion is diminishing drastically.

The web format may be great, but the purpose of the Forum is discussion, and the new format has killed it. Not by way of the layout, but functionality.
Its hard to navigate, and simple things like page numbers and post a new thread are missing.

Its like Tesla producing a fabulous looking car, with a world record power and range, ....but it has no doors!

I don't even think the format looks great -- it's very hard on the eyes. I can handle change as long as it progresses in some aspect, but there isn't anything about this new forum that progresses in one aspect from the old.
Is this where I put the signature?

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
Its obviously been the aim of the new modern look, to use a new website for the main RF material.

The provider must have convinced them at RF they can do the forum in the same format, to retain a corporate look. But  the features are poor and haven't been thought through,
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?

Mammal

• 4798 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 01:16:31 am »
Yes, the new format is pretty awful. The participation and reading of threads have dwindled as a result. Pity.

Oh and has anyone figured out how to open personal messages? I can't seem to do that.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

toknowthetruth

• 810 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:49 pm »
Yes, the new format is pretty awful. The participation and reading of threads have dwindled as a result. Pity.

Oh and has anyone figured out how to open personal messages? I can't seem to do that.
If you're really determined you can right click and select view page source and scroll down to the message, if you can find it. Alternatively once your in the source view of the page you can press control F and copy the message number at the end of the url into the drop down box, hit enter, and from the search go to the last entry of the message number on the page.
The only thing I can figure is that they forgot to code for viewing messages into the new template, so even though the messages are in the database there's no way to access them in the browser besides viewing the page source. Seems like they didn't go over things very thoroughly when they coded the new template, at least as far as the forum is concerned.

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 04:09:31 am »
Its obviously been the aim of the new modern look, to use a new website for the main RF material.

The provider must have convinced them at RF they can do the forum in the same format, to retain a corporate look. But  the features are poor and haven't been thought through,

The thing that baffles me is that the new look doesn't even really benefit the main site either.  It looks, as you say, "corporate".  But given that this site is pitching to academics and people interested in religion, it doesn't really convey either "academic" or "religious".
-- This user will return on the twenty-fourth of July --

Jabberwock

• 14570 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 07:41:47 am »

As was mentioned, the messages are there, only not displayed. You can do that, skipping the styles (CSS), in Firefox it is View > Page Style > No Style.
First learn to spell "ironic discussion"...

toknowthetruth

• 810 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 06:54:56 pm »
Wow! This is much better. Thanks to the designers for restoring some of the functionality we had in the past! Keep up the good work.

bdsimon

• 7061 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 11:11:45 am »
Can this pinned thread now be deleted?
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

wonderer

• 15127 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 04:10:14 am »
Can this pinned thread now be deleted?

FWIW, I just checked this thread to find out how to read a PM.

I don't think I can make any use of the tip on my Kindle, so I still haven't managed to read the PM.  But regardless, while there are still broken elements of the forum, it is probably a good idea to have a place to keep such tips.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Language-Gamer

• 7766 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 02:30:30 pm »
Do people receive a notification when they get a PM?
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

Language-Gamer

• 7766 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 02:23:59 pm »
Do people receive a notification when they get a PM?

Can someone send me a pm so I can test this please?

Wretch

• 2494 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 10:38:22 am »
Done.  Sorry it took so long.

Language-Gamer

• 7766 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 04:46:48 pm »
Done.  Sorry it took so long.

Thanks. At least now it shows that you have a PM when you are on the general forums page.