Is it possible that harm can come from submitting to others will
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:45:47 pm »
I talked with a Christian today who showed me this site and took me on like I was atheist but I'm not God might exist but submission to others will seems dangerous to me. Why submit

kurros

• 11669 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible that harm can come from submitting to others will
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:52:08 am »
I would think obviously yes, all it takes is that the "other" you speak of "wills" harm, and then harm will result from submitting to their will. In fact they might not even "will" harm, they might just be incompetent, in which case doing what they say will also cause harm. So yes, there are a vast array of possible ways that submitting to another's will can be harmful.

Of course Christians believe their God to be all-good and all-wise, such that these risks don't exist. And sure, I could agree that submitting to the will of such a being would be the best course of action for causing good to occur. So it just comes back to the question of whether such a being actually exists, which I see no good reason to believe.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:55:11 am by kurros »

Aaron Massey

• 5479 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:29:36 am »
I would not consider it submission..

I would call it a humbling, Humility.   The removal of your pride.   

You dont so much submit to Gods will, you want his will to be done because you have realised he knows best, you begin to shares his views through your own volition. , as opposed to submitting to them.
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:46 am »
Aaron nails it. Suppose you go to the doctor's office for some ailment you have. The doctor then examines your condition and prescribes you whatever is necessary to treat your ailment. Most people would take the doctor's advice and prescription not because of any ''submission of one's will to the will of the doctor''. Rather, they take it because they understand that the doctor, as fallible as he or she might be, knows what is best in such situation. This is not submission to the doctor, but a form of humility.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Nunovalente

• 3859 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:38:02 am »
Of course its 'possible' for harm to come, but the harm comes not because of submitting to anothers will, but because the other does not have your best in mind. i.e. They do not love you, as themselves. (2nd commandment.)

The fault is not submitting to the will of another.

The command to love God and your neighbour as yourself, should make it possible to submit to another, without harm being inevitable.

It is impossible to go through life without submitting your will to that of another. No employee can hold down a job. No child can be nurtured or take instruction and learn wisdom (Proverbs), no marriage would survive (husbands prefer wives, wives prefer the husband) and experience the joy of matrimony.

To submit to another will is to declare others know more than you. To insist on your own will is to put yourself first. But if the Dr knows better, having been trained and experienced, then you submit to their will, in faith they know better. Of course, of your a more experienced Dr and make a diagnosis that differs, you may not submit to their will. As you may know best.

Family life is about submitting to others. Its the nurturing ground for discovering who and what we can trust, express our own desires, and times we should prefer others above ourselves. (Good Samaritan submitted to the will of another. He was going to Jerico, but put the need of another before his own will. The others passed by, putting their own will first.)

The learning is knowing who we can trust, and who we cannot nor should not trust our will to.
Faith is being confident in things hoped for, the conviction of facts not yet seen. Hebrews 11.
Everyone exercises faith in something. What is your faith in?