CausalCode

• 948 Posts
    • View Profile
Life's purpose is to create Artificial General Intelligence
« on: January 15, 2018, 03:47:36 am »

I became an atheist several years ago, and for a long while I thought life was purposeless. I am still an atheist today, but two years ago, I discovered that science had something to say about the purpose of human life in particular.
•   Science indicates that the purpose of human life is reasonably to engineer the creation of Artificial General Intelligence!
•   But why is the purpose of human life reasonably to create Artificial General Intelligence?

Applying science, (the same science that enabled the construction of computers and things such as reasonablefaith.org) in the quora link below, I underline an early hypothesis on why life's purpose is reasonably to create Artificial General Intelligence, rather than worship some deity:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-purpose-of-human-life-to-create-artificial-general-intelligence/answer/Jordan-Bennett-9

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:40:50 am by CausalCode »

Paterfamilia

• 3998 Posts
    • View Profile
I don’t see a debate proposal.  Why aren’t you posting in the “Choose your own topic” section?
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

CausalCode

• 948 Posts
    • View Profile
Sorry.
The moot is as described in the OP, which we can debate.
Is the OP not sufficient for debate?

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:40:55 am by CausalCode »

Paterfamilia

• 3998 Posts
    • View Profile
If you would like to have a formal debate, you need to first offer a resolution that is to be debated.  Then someone accepts the challenge to defeat your resolution.  You will need to agree to the terms of the debate, set a time limit, etc.  But the key is to clearly define the scope and subject of the argument.  I don’t see where you’ve done that.

What you’ve posted should be in the “Choose your own topic” section where I am sure you would enjoy a good number of responses from multiple people.  Argue it to your hearts content.

As to your OP, it might save you some time to take a look at the definition of “purpose”.  It seems to me that “purpose” entails agency and intentionality, which is incongruent to your meta worldview.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:01:19 pm by Paterfamilia »
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

CausalCode

• 948 Posts
    • View Profile
If you would like to have a formal debate, you need to first offer a resolution that is to be debated.  Then someone accepts the challenge to defeat your resolution.  You will need to agree to the terms of the debate, set a time limit, etc.  But the key is to clearly define the scope and subject of the argument.  I don’t see where you’ve done that.

What you’ve posted should be in the “Choose your own topic” section where I am sure you would enjoy a good number of responses from multiple people.  Argue it to your hearts content.

As to your OP, it might save you some time to take a look at the definition of “purpose”.  It seems to me that “purpose” entails agency and intentionality, which is incongruent to your meta worldview.

1.) On the contrary, I tend to remind people that purpose need not mean intention, nor concern theism.

2.) Purpose may mean objective, and the word purpose is not constrained to religious endeavour; the OP concerns objectives wrt entropy maximization, and Science likes objectivity.

3.) Conclusively, "purpose" may be used wrt to science, and in fact "Wikipedia/meaning of life" describes scientific things like abiogenesis, and scientific things are separate and disparate from religion.

Theism thus has no monopoly on the word "purpose".

4.) Reference-B: Purpose definition

5.) Reference-B: Wikipedia/Meaning of Life

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:41:01 am by CausalCode »