General Discussion

Community Testimonies

Read 1455 times
My Testimony
« on: April 17, 2018, 09:54:59 am »
Hello Folks,

I come here seeking your help.  This is about religious belief in my family.  I am not  a believer, not an advocate of faith, yet my father is.  I am 32, and when I see him, it seems important to him that I change in some way.  He seems to be satisfied if I simply went to church to regularly.  However, at the moment, I am uninterested in this, nor am I very responsive on the topic of faith.  What are some things I can do to improve our relationship?  I am always hesitant to spell out my reasons for not being a believer, as I know he believes he has an answer for just about any of them.  To add, neither one of is very good at presenting arguments and conversations typically end or change direction very quickly.  Any help is appreciated. 

Regards,

Timothy

Harvey

• 17968 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: My Testimony
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:24:01 pm »
Have questions about faith and belief that you honestly have, and let him have a role in helping you to answer those questions. Don't try to be argumentative with him, but find out how he addresses those same issues and allow him to respond. He might become frustrated if his answers don't convert you to his way of thinking, but at least he will feel more part of your life and that can only be good. If he starts putting too much pressure on you, then stir the questions to other areas of your life that don't have much to do with faith. For example, if he is helping you to see things from his perspective, then he'll be in the habit of giving his views on other matters that you might be able to agree on. If you bring up both types of topics (faith based topics and a little more trivial in scope), then you can build a better relationship without having too much friction.

Naisaki

• 2 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: My Testimony
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:15:16 am »
These ideas are considered good for many people.