Debates

Debates: Miscellaneous

Read 356 times

Cicerei

• 7 Posts
    • View Profile
Faith and Works
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:13:19 pm »
“Everyone who believes in Christ will get salvation; Christians believe in Christ, therefore Christians get salvation” is a thought process I find among many Christian circles. I believe this comes from the words of Paul. But is this the definitive way to finding Christ upon death? I believe that it is in the spirit of the Christian journey, but I also believe that there is much more entailed if one wants to walk with Christ and find his salvation. While the average Christian’s beliefs lie with Christ, I cannot say that every single action that a Christian commits aligns with Christ’s intentions. What becomes of a man who champions a fact sheet about Jesus Christ, yet that is the extent of his “knowing” of Christ? What becomes of a person who proclaims the Good News at gatherings and protests, yet he in turns curses his neighbors when out of the public eye? Or what becomes of the individual that attends Church simply for the camaraderie, nostalgia, or for keeping up appearances? I believe that these individuals glorify Christ only in the outwardly sense, but their hearts and minds are not totally in synchronization with what God actually wants. Another example I offer is from the Parable of the Good Samaritan, where both a Priest and Levite knowingly disregarded a suffering man. Jesus himself condemned their actions and gave praise to the individual who went and actually helped his neighbor. As such, I say “We either walk on Christ’s path, or we do not. Christ calls us to help our neighbor, and we either help our neighbor or we do not. Both the Levite and the Priest refused to help a dying man on the street. Christ himself condemned their omissions as faulty. Therefore, it is possible to not walk with Christ, regardless of any faithful’s claims to righteousness.” I pose that sins of omission and sins of commission can be committed by anyone, including those who deal in Godly matters, and that they also lead us astray from walking on God’s path – similar to how the two men went on a different path in evading their responsibilities.

Any good objections welcome