Cicerei

• 7 Posts
    • View Profile
God Saves Us All, No Matter What?
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:26:18 am »
Justin Aptaker of Owlcation makes the case for Christian Universalism being accurate. Given how God embodies goodness, through Him all people are saved, and because He wants the best for all His peoples, all people are saved. Aptaker utilizes the fact that scriptures and doctrine can be mistranslated, inferences from the nature of God, and interpretations of Scripture “explicitly” stating such. I am here to make the case that many of these claims are either misguided, askew, or a mix of both. As followers of Christ, Christians claim that Christ is the key for finding salvation. How we wind up in Hell is simple – perform a grave misdeed of your own accord, and never apologize for it; then meet death. Upon death is the individual’s final judgment, leading either salvation or damnation. By the off chance, I believe he is confusing the definitions of “Hell” and “Purgatory,” but acknowledging that Purgatory exists would imply that there is a true damnation for those who have not earned salvation, as Jesus literally said “they will go away into eternal punishment” in Matthew’s 25:46. This is also affirmed by Aptaker’s words when he claimed “many Christian scriptures explicitly state this.” But what I find most problematic is his claim about “[universalism] can be inferred from the Christian concept of God’s nature” for two reasons. Firstly, many things about God’s infinite and incalculable nature have been said, and many have been contradictory: the triune God or non-trinitarian god, wholely divine or man and divine, gracious and malevolent, and so on. Simply inferring anything from God from scriptures is difficult and often leads to disaster. So simply making an inference is potentially problematic. But let’s have inference assumption as true, that God saves all people’s even if they wind up in Hell. This contradicts the concept of free will that was given to God’s people’s – its through this that love in truth is expressed towards God and fellow man, that we participate in God’s plan, and that we commit sin. The true extent of Free Will was expressed in the Gensis Book, where man committed his first sin and by his own accord. Free Will dictates that we choose. God did not stop Adam and Eve from attaining “knowledge” despite the full extent of his omni-characteristics making Him more than capable of removing the tree, stomping out the snake, and keeping sin from entering the world. But he did not, for Free Will constitutes that man has the ability to make their own decisions; if God made all of our decisions, he had made robots. This dynamic potential for good and evil that man exhibits makes man God’s greatest creation; the ability for us to commit vile acts and corrupt the goodness of creation are unfortunate consequences for creating such dynamic beings as us, and God accepted this reality because He wants the best for His peoples. This is reinforced with God’s reluctance to force individuals to love Him; He says that salvation is possible through Him and lays out what happens to us if we do not follow Him, provides countless opportunities to repent, never harbors ill-will for those who do not regret, and is always open to people whose hearts change. The only caveat is that the individual has only their entire life on Earth to do their part. If God did not intend for anyone to be banished, then all of the lessons in morality and patience as well as Christ’s sacrifices would all be for show; why would Christ need to suffer if we were all going to Heaven regardless of who sins, and for how long they have to repent? If Hell is temporary, then man through trial and error could learn the path to salvation and Christ’s morality lessons would all be for nothing.

Apteker’s definitions of Hell are also problematic, as Purgatory takes on a similar description (Rev 21:47 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.) while Hell (Isaiah 33:14, “who of us can dwell in the everlasting fire?”) is permeant. Either something is permanent, like by death, or temporary, such as being in a coma. My final concern arises that, how can one be saved if Christ is absent? Until Christ descended and re-opened the Gates to Heaven, countless souls were unable to be saved. This not only affirms Christ is the key to salvation, but that salvation can be blocked. Albeit a temporary block, but Christ can be absent. To say that God can supercede or even change his own rules is another completely different topic, so I will not consider this possibility as a possible objection. But either way, I believe Apteker’s definition and application of “Hell” is misguided.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Why-I-Dont-Believe-in-an-Eternal-Hell