wonderer

• 15146 Posts
    • View Profile
I'm starting this manxome thread as a place to post scientific findings relevant to philosophy of mind. I may well add new findings at a later date.

First item:  Brainwaves suppress obvious ideas to help us think more creatively.

Freer thinking, brought to you by physics.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Wretch

• 2494 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting scientific finding(s) relevant to philosophy of mind.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 03:27:02 am »
Physics doesn't bring anything new to anybody. 

Gordon Tubbs

• 5446 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)

Pieter

• 1768 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:48:05 am »
Human thought can voluntarily control neurons in the brain

I always find it hilarious how scientists make revolutionary discoveries of what we all know already

The work, which appears in a paper in the October 28 issue of the journal Nature, shows that “individuals can rapidly, consciously, and voluntarily control neurons deep inside their head,” says Koch, the Lois and Victor Troendle Professor of Cognitive and Behavioral Biology and professor of computation and neural systems at Caltech.

Of course we can! How else do I move my arm??

It's interesting though, how they phrase “The goal was to get patients to control things with their minds” and "HUMAN THOUGHT CAN VOLUNTARILY CONTROL NEURONS IN BRAIN"

Here we have thoughts controlling brains cells, conscious volition. How does this fit into a physicalist paradigm where thoughts are brain cells and volition is a function of the brain? So on that interpretation, brain cells control other brain cells. That sounds like really boring old news.
Pieter van Leeuwen

Mammal

• 4822 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 02:57:57 am »
^ Yes, the ability to learn to "control" neurological processes is a neurological process in itself.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 03:01:00 am »
I'm starting this manxome thread as a place to post scientific findings relevant to philosophy of mind. I may well add new findings at a later date.

First item:  Brainwaves suppress obvious ideas to help us think more creatively.

Freer thinking, brought to you by physics.

You mean suppressed thinking?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 03:05:12 am »
A ‘Self-Aware’ Fish Raises Doubts About a Cognitive Test

Jordan’s findings have consequently inspired strong feelings in the field. “There are researchers who, it seems, do not want fish to be included in this secret club,” he said. “Because then that means that the [primates] are not so special anymore.”

Elitism within modern academia, once again.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Pieter

• 1768 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:06:29 am »
^ Yes, the ability to learn to "control" neurological processes is a neurological process in itself.

But why is this such a major discovery?
Pieter van Leeuwen

Mammal

• 4822 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 04:40:42 am »
But why is this such a major discovery?
I am sure the ability to learn proper mind/neuron control in view of the plasticity of the brain has huge potential. In this case it was for epilepsy, but think about other neurological & psychological abnormalities. Apart from that it is a pretty cool achievement, to visually "map" the control of one's thoughts.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God