PacMan

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
I beleive, but what if nature doesn't "speak" to me of God.
« on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:45 am »
I've been concerned that I can't relate to something that most people seem to grasp with no problem.  That's the natural argument for God's existence, meaning that just looking at a beautiful sunset, or mountains, etc, gives a person an insight that there must be a God.
Although I see the beauty in nature and believe God is responsible for it, the beauty itself is not a foundation of my faith.  My reasoning for God's existence comes mostly from first-cause logic, as well as absolute morality.

I've been told (in fact, recently by a Dr), that I have characteristics of autism, or what used to be called Asperger's syndrome.  Perhaps this could contribute to a person like me having trouble with the "beauty as a reason" argument?

My deceased wife had a real problem with my consideration of, say,  how the sunlight is refracted through the atmosphere to cause the colors or what molecules the clouds and trees are made of, etc.  She was a very artistic person and I'm pretty scientific. I just couldn't share the "there must be a God because of a sunset" feeling with her.  Although again, I do believe God is responsible for it.

Anyone else here know what I'm talking about? 

Any comments are appreciated.

jayceeii

• 285 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: I beleive, but what if nature doesn't "speak" to me of God.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 04:25:49 pm »
With respect to religious feeling I’ve seen two classes of people, one that has a strong aesthetic response, and the other having a strong inner response. It sounds like you are not in this first class, but may be in the second class or above it. In general though the conclusion one has seen or felt God through either channel, is a non-sequitur. God is not found through outer or inner senses. When God is found divine traits appear, and we don’t find anyone exhibited divinity even after strong external or internal experiences.

Although not really contacting God, people like to believe they are, as part of their felt-power or pride. This is how we have so many devoted religionists, but the situation Jesus described where the prophets are persecuted, still obtains. The God that is real does not slip into the back pocket of any creature. In the East they teach inner union with God is possible, but we find those people, even after intense inner experiences, still hotly rebellious against a real external Creator. The trouble is that the real Creator stands against selfish desire, including desires of gurus or preachers to be the center of attention.