Poll

Can Christianity be true if the resurrection is false?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
4 (100%)
Undecided
0 (0%)
We cannot know
0 (0%)
I don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: July 19, 2014, 06:38:57 am

Branden Holmes

• 443 Posts
    • View Profile
    • The Recently Extinct Plants and Animals Database
Can Christianity be true if the resurrection is false?
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:38:57 am »
If the resurrection was not an historical event, can Christianity still be true? 1 Corinthians seems to decisively answer 'no', but then people like Ret. Bishop John Shelby Spong call themselves 'Christians', and not merely followers of Christ. So perhaps the issue is more complicated than I thought.

Thoughts and opinions welcome as always.
I'm an atheist.

Soyeong

• 950 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Can Christianity be true if the resurrection is false?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:27 pm »
If the resurrection was not an historical event, can Christianity still be true? 1 Corinthians seems to decisively answer 'no', but then people like Ret. Bishop John Shelby Spong call themselves 'Christians', and not merely followers of Christ. So perhaps the issue is more complicated than I thought.

After looking at the views he espouses, I'm honestly bewildered as to why he still considers himself to be a Christian.

"Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it.”

Yeshua answered them, “The reason you go astray is that you are ignorant both of the Tanakh and of the power of God. - Matthews 22:29 (CJB)

Branden Holmes

• 443 Posts
    • View Profile
    • The Recently Extinct Plants and Animals Database
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:54:00 am »

After looking at the views he espouses, I'm honestly bewildered as to why he still considers himself to be a Christian.
He did a debate with Dr. Craig on the resurrection in 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXzu4tcOTI

Unbelievably, he rejects the possibility of miracles occurring!
I'm an atheist.

jayceeii

• 480 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:29:48 am »
When you ask if Christianity can still be true, you must be asking whether Jesus’ death served as atonement for human sins. But I’d point out that even had the resurrection happened, the case is not proved. You’d only know that God has the power to reanimate a dead body for a short period, reversing rigor mortis, not that God could make a new planet where Christians could go. Had Jesus resumed teaching it’d be more persuasive.

I’d also insist the interpretation of atonement is from Paul, not from Jesus. It isn’t clear that Jesus said anything where we could ask, “Is it true?” Paul seems to have had the mind of a salesman, seeing that a promise of easy salvation, all the work done by another, would make the religion popular. Jesus never laid out the path of salvation in exact terms. A greater question is that if the resurrection didn’t occur could Jesus still have been God?