eklypised

• 14 Posts
    • View Profile
The atheist asked me what statistics scientists would rather the universe be infinite rather than the Big Bang happening. Wouldn’t you say that’s true since it throws a monkey wrench in with them now having explain the Big Bang instead of the universe being infinite?

jayceeii

• 472 Posts
    • View Profile
I don’t think anyone is saying the universe is infinite, but that it might be expanding infinitely. This is different from the question of whether it started as a Big Bang or in some other way. Were the theists sincere, modern astronomy should be giving them cause to reflect about God’s immense power, particularly if the universe is expanding infinitely, but it has not worked this way. Humans remain very Earth-centric, the Christian cosmology stumbling along in the darkness the prophets left it in so long ago.

Were Christians to take a step forward, of which I believe them to be incapable, they should see that “God made the world in seven days” was a poetic way of expressing the power they can see now, through the findings of astronomy. In fact their idea that God can create worlds instantly has become extremely bizarre, after astronomy found the dust clouds which are the birthing areas of new solar systems. These gaps appear between science and Christianity since a) the prophets are denied, and b) the beliefs are not deep.

The idea of a Big Bang I think will be a monumental obstacle between human scientists and any new revelations from the prophets. They may have good news to share that God’s powers, as these are known, could in no way have arisen in a short fourteen billion years, arguing for a very ancient universe. This science has been the product and the property of the limited human mind, and its math might not connect with reality as they expect. If you think in the short-term about everything, the universe looks short-term too.