Fred

• 5712 Posts
    • View Profile
Could evangelical Christians vote for a Gay man for President?
« on: February 15, 2020, 09:47:29 am »
Rush Limbaugh was in the news this week for suggesting America isn't ready for a "gay man kising his husband" as President.  I pondered this from my politically liberal, atheist point of view - and it seems to me that this would imply there is still too much anti-gay prejudice in this country - because homosexuality has no bearing on the intellignce, knowledge, or judgment of that man. 

That said, I''m curious of the perspective of evangelicals.  Could you vote for a gay man based on his merits (assume you agree with his policy views and consider him intellectually adequate) and ignore the fact that he's gay - and in a gay marriage? 

If you're tempted to say no, because he's actively sinning and showcasing this sinful lifestyle, consider Trump.
Fred

TheCross

• 5351 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
Re: Could evangelical Christians vote for a Gay man for President?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 06:17:12 pm »
Rush Limbaugh was in the news this week for suggesting America isn't ready for a "gay man kising his husband" as President.  I pondered this from my politically liberal, atheist point of view - and it seems to me that this would imply there is still too much anti-gay prejudice in this country - because homosexuality has no bearing on the intellignce, knowledge, or judgment of that man. 

That said, I''m curious of the perspective of evangelicals.  Could you vote for a gay man based on his merits (assume you agree with his policy views and consider him intellectually adequate) and ignore the fact that he's gay - and in a gay marriage? 

If you're tempted to say no, because he's actively sinning and showcasing this sinful lifestyle, consider Trump.

Really? I agree that knowledge or intelligence has no bearing upon ones sexuality, but the judgement does.
If you are a homosexually active individual, that is married then your judgement is already not inline with X % of the population, in your case a theistic overwhelming majority, so essentially, your judgement is made.

And please, let’s be abit honest, by being pro-gay, the political shift leans heavily to the left side of the isle, does it not?
Gal 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

lapwing

• 8789 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 05:59:27 pm »
I'm no expert but I would expect quite a few extreme right people in the US are gay.

Which is worse a pussy grabbing lying multiple fornicator (maybe not proved but the question is still valid) or someone in a monogamous homosexual marriage?
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TheCross

• 5351 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 05:48:17 am »
I'm no expert but I would expect quite a few extreme right people in the US are gay.

Which is worse a pussy grabbing lying multiple fornicator (maybe not proved but the question is still valid) or someone in a monogamous homosexual marriage?

The latter is worse, while the former is also very bad, fornication is such an old concept that the bible strictly adresses it, meanwhile the latter alters the biblical narrative altogether, confusing and letting ignorant people even further into their mental and sinful chaos by lying to the masses that ”this is ok, it is approved by the bible, god, or X” when it is not approved by anyone apart from the radical progressives.

Gal 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

lapwing

• 8789 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 02:23:59 pm »
Where does the Bible say that homosexuality is worse than fornication, or lying for that matter?
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TheCross

• 5351 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 07:35:46 pm »
Where does the Bible say that homosexuality is worse than fornication, or lying for that matter?

By introducing a word only used when speaking of homosexual activity.

But, thats not what I said now is it?

lapwing

• 8789 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 04:17:17 am »
Your words:
"The latter is worse, while the former is also very bad"

Latter is homosexuality (the sex act)
Former is fornication

Isn't fornication "a word only used when speaking of" heterosexual sex outside of marriage?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TheCross

• 5351 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 06:14:35 am »
Your words:

Former is fornication

Isn't fornication "a word only used when speaking of" heterosexual sex outside of marriage?

Yes? I’m confused at what your point is, elaborate.

Mammal

• 5595 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 12:27:24 pm »
I pondered this from my politically liberal, atheist point of view - and it seems to me that this would imply there is still too much anti-gay prejudice in this country - because homosexuality has no bearing on the intellignce, knowledge, or judgment of that man. 

..Could you vote for a gay man based on his merits (assume you agree with his policy views and consider him intellectually adequate) and ignore the fact that he's gay - and in a gay marriage? 

..consider Trump.
He is doing quite well so far and that seems to point to a yearning for a Trump antithesis..? That being said, apparently not so popular among black voters so I am wondering if it will last.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

lapwing

• 8789 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 05:49:47 am »
Your words:

Former is fornication

You seem to be contradicting (or rowing back from) what you said earlier?

Do you think homosexuality (the sex act) is worse (according to the Bible) than fornication or lying?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TheCross

• 5351 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 02:22:01 pm »
Your words:

Former is fornication

You seem to be contradicting (or rowing back from) what you said earlier?

Do you think homosexuality (the sex act) is worse (according to the Bible) than fornication or lying?

Yes, the language is much more severe, or is there a verse on fornication that also claims such an act is an abomination?

Do you belive sins are equal?

lapwing

• 8789 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 05:49:49 am »
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. Jude 1:7

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. Col 3:5

So are you arguing the homosexuals will be put in a hotter part of the eternal fire? It doesn't say so here.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TheCross

• 5351 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 05:31:57 am »
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. Jude 1:7

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. Col 3:5

So are you arguing the homosexuals will be put in a hotter part of the eternal fire? It doesn't say so here.

?

I mean, at some point you REALLY NEED TO START READING WHAT I SAY.

”The latter is worse, while the former is also very bad, fornication is such an old concept that the bible strictly adresses it, meanwhile the latter alters the biblical narrative altogether, confusing and letting ignorant people even further into their mental and sinful chaos by lying to the masses that ”this is ok, it is approved by the bible, god, or X” when it is not approved by anyone apart from the radical progressives.”

Understand? I did not say that hell has multiple layers, or anything close to it, I said that people pushing the gay agenda are doing something much worse than mere fornication, which is altering the biblical message.

lapwing

• 8789 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:14:51 pm »
The OP says "gay man" not "gay man pushing the gay agenda" - and again where do you get "pushing the gay agenda" (whatever that means in this case) is a worse sin than fornication (and lying) IN THE BIBLE (I can use capitals as well)?

"Alters the biblical narrative altogether" - really.
Maybe you could justify that - does the Bible have some sections in capitals then?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:17:09 pm by lapwing »

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

bskeptic

• 8450 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 03:31:25 pm »
Trump could come out as gay. No problem.

Evangelicals would forgive him for it.

The liberals would despise him for it.