Political Threads

Read 479 times

Paterfamilia

• 4436 Posts
    • View Profile
Is white privilege real?
« on: June 18, 2020, 01:31:49 pm »
Just looking for some opinions.

As a mutt myself, I can say that there have been times when I was positive that I have been treated differently.  But that’s been rare, and usually doesn’t occur to me until later.  Though I am a mutt, (white, African, Native American) I usually pass for a white boy.  Most people guess the darker Italian or Greek heritage.

One thing for sure about white privilege, a white person never has to wonder if someone is treating them a certain way because of their race, except in extremely rare circumstances.

A black African American ALWAYS has to consider that possibility, that the poor treatment they receive IS because of their race, no matter how common or uncommon that is for an individual.

The fact that all people are selfish evil jerks at times gets forgotten.

But what about systemic racism.  Do we think that exists?
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

Mammal

• 4337 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
Re: Is white privilege real?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:08:03 pm »
I try to avoid this section of the forum. But your post is kind of irresistible.

Good for you..your mixed heritage..maybe that is the new privileged.

I think we all agree that European (and some more than others) privilege has been very real; and from what I have read so is systemic racism in many countries. As a global society humanity is still far from not seeing race. Our next generation holds our hope in their hands though and what we are seeing is that one incident could have a major ripple effect throughout the world that may change our collective paradigm.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

bdsimon

• 7035 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 02:47:29 pm »
If you have fifteen minutes to be informed watch this video that does a good job of explaining how blacks are not privileged. This doesn’t mean all whites are privileged, but it helps to know how the system has been handicapped.

And yes, he is Bob the Tomato.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

noncontingent

• 232 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:38:51 pm »
No.