alloneword

• 306 Posts
    • View Profile
Can God declare moral things immoral?
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:15:25 am »
Can God change the moral commandments that human beings should live by?

Gubbins

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:54:11 am »

alloneword wrote: Can God change the moral commandments that human beings should live by?

By moral commandments, I assume you mean objective moral values. Surely these would be based on the nature of God and therefore, as God and his nature are eternal, would not change.

Harvey

• 26401 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:38:30 am »

I agree with Gubbins, except that I would add that God strongly actualized our world, and therefore God weakly actualized restrictions on the kind of alternative moralities that are possible for our world. Had God strongly actualized a different world, then alternative moralities might be possible. In order for God to declare all moral things as immoral, God would need to strongly actualize a different world. It's possible, I think, for God, but not possible for this universe without contradicting how God has already designed this world.

alloneword

• 306 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:54:44 pm »
Gubbins wrote:
Quote from: alloneword

By moral commandments, I assume you mean objective moral values. Surely these would be based on the nature of God and therefore, as God and his nature are eternal, would not change.

You mean if God issued an eternal commandment for people to work 6 days a week, people should not work 5 days a week?

Gubbins

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:41:03 pm »

alloneword wrote:

You mean if God issued an eternal commandment for people to work 6 days a week, people should not work 5 days a week?

Problem one: God never issued a command to work 5 days a week. In fact, if you read the old testement, you'd see he tells the Israelites to take one day of rest (the sabbath) in every seven, i.e. a six day working week...

Besides, there's a huge difference between your original question (can God declare moral things immoral) and what your now asking (can God issue today a general commandment, different from an objective moral value, we should follow for eternity). The former I've answered in a previous post, as for the latter, I don't see any reason why not, personally. Or even a temporal commandment for that matter. If he did, I'm sure it would be for our benefit.

gmatter

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 05:35:58 am »

Dunno, but it doesn't matter to us because nobody knows what those commandments precisely are. We can only guess at some of them if they exist at all.

There's also the question of whether a thing is moral because it's moral or because God said it's moral. Could there be absolute morality without God?
Or is morality dependent on God?