lancia

• 5835 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: The miracle case for Christianity survival
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2020, 01:38:25 pm »
And no, if you've no education in world religion or history at the collegiate level, you probably wouldn't fair well at all.

Jesus! You can't even spell "particular" in the same sentence you boast in while telling me to stay humble.

I'm sure you like to be right (like me), so you should--but probably won't--thank me for pointing this out.

You criticized the misspelling of particular, but in the same post, you used the wrong word in writing fair well. In that context, the expression should be fare well.

shoyt

• 282 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2020, 01:44:43 pm »
And no, if you've no education in world religion or history at the collegiate level, you probably wouldn't fair well at all.

Jesus! You can't even spell "particular" in the same sentence you boast in while telling me to stay humble.

I'm sure you like to be right (like me), so you should--but probably won't--thank me for pointing this out.

You criticized the misspelling of particular, but in the same post, you used the wrong word in writing fair well. In that context, the expression should be fare well.

Indeed! Too funny.

The difference is, I don't boast and I am eager to admit when I'm wrong or that I might be. I also stick to talking about things I know. In any case, what a giggle!

Thanks!

lancia

• 5835 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2020, 01:56:19 pm »

Indeed! Too funny.

The difference is, I don't boast and I am eager to admit when I'm wrong or that I might be. I also stick to talking about things I know. In any case, what a giggle!

Thanks!

You're welcome. Thanks for proving me wrong in predicting your response.

kurros

• 11718 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2020, 04:42:37 pm »
This just sounds like you are happy to make up any bizarre logical atrocity so long as it gives you your preconceived conclusion.

But, to me it sounds like you are willfully resisting a belief in God.

There is nothing willful about it. But I will grant you that we are not so different in that the logic does come second. It is just that for me your argument immediately triggers many red flags and is completely uncompelling at an intuitive level: I then think about the underlying logic of it to understand why. Whilst for you it is apparently intuitively compelling for some reasons that I cannot fathom.

Harvey

• 23795 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2020, 10:25:09 pm »
There is nothing willful about it. But I will grant you that we are not so different in that the logic does come second. It is just that for me your argument immediately triggers many red flags and is completely uncompelling at an intuitive level: I then think about the underlying logic of it to understand why. Whilst for you it is apparently intuitively compelling for some reasons that I cannot fathom.

Understood. All I will say is that a crucified peasant's teachings being taken as the words of God and converting the entire Roman Empire after three centuries and then converting the conquerors of that empire and then being the source of most of the crucial tenets of Western civilization is so remote of a possibility (and then to say about the same for the Jews) is extremely miraculous and it ought to make all of those who doubt God's existence to doubt that belief.

TheCross

• 5339 Posts
  • Follower of christ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2020, 05:11:08 am »

Oh, you are a muslim?

Allow me to sit up and take a cup of coffe, this will be very interesting in a couple of hours.

I'm a student of history and world religions.

Is that so, impressive.

Considering your blunder about ”the golden age” I find your statement very hard to belive, in any event, everyone can make errors so I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this very topic.

You see, ignorance in the educational system has indoctrinated you to belive this about the islamic history, that is not your fault, however, it is your job as a historian and a person seeking truth to occasionally verify your wisdom to see if it has changed in any way.
When Muhammad raided Mecca, the city was as diverse as anything gets, various pagan shrines, sects and tribes occupied this place, where prayers, trade and conversions took place on any given day.

The tradition of walking laps around the black stone is not islamic in origin.
The tradition of celebrating the Hajj is not islamic in origin.
The tradition of paying a jizya(inferiority tax) is not islamic in origin.

The very city of Mecca is not islamic in origin, there is a reason why the first 16 mosques, until caliph uthman, all point to a different city and not Mecca.
There is a reason why the Qur’an depicts Mecca to have olive trees surrounding it, in a valley etc when Mecca is nothing close to being in a valley or being surrounded by anything that grows.
Do you know where these antique mosques, including the Al-aqsa mosque in Israel, point twoards? The trading capital of the old Levant, Petra.
You see, Petra is in a valley, Petra was, like Mecca, a city of immense trade and idol worship, the problem with Petra is that Muhammad failed to convert and drive out the people, and Mecca was not as forcefully defended as Petra.

Why do I bring this up you might wonder?
Because, I want to illustrate to you that nothing islam has is by it’s own merit.
Islam is a religion of death and conquest, from the modern day conversion of Hagia Sophia, the very cathedral my great great grandfather held is jubilee mass(1931), to the occupation that made the Al-Aqsa mosque possible, to the seizure of lands from the minorities in the middle-east and onwards it goes.

When Muhammad occupied the lands, he kept concepts and items that he deemed valuable, such as women, slaves, art, places of worship etc.
He also stole whole concepts, spiritual and material.
This is shown numerous times in the Qur’an as stories taken and made islamic have glaring errors in them(the mistake of conflating Mary the sister of Aaron with Mary the mother of Jesus, 1500 years between the two).

Islam conquered the lands, it’s grip was so firm that whatever were to rule them would have a ”golden age”, if you want to praise anyone for the origin of math, I suggest you statt reading up on the persian empire, I have a strong belief that it originated from there based on my own study.

On a side note, I am probably known for islamic and genocidal debates on this forum, you wont find many posts of mine in evolution threads or physics related issues, as much as I respect people on this board from both sides and obviously try to absorb as much from those type of discussions, I find that 2-3% of all the information in those type of threads stick with me, the rest I forget as fast as I read it, not because it’s bad or anything like that but more because I find it not interesting enough to work with.

How many people today speak ancient arabic? Not that many, last thing I heard it was 1 in 800 thousand.
How many speak ancient aramaic? Even less.

How many do you think speak both? Maybe 1 in 10 million.
Congratulations, you have just met someone quite special in that regard.

PS: The name is TheCross or TC, it’s a matter of basic respect, I can run laps around you kid, on this subject in perticular, stay humble and you might learn something for free.

ROFLOL.

When you suggest that education isn't the way to go, you lose anyone's respect.

I cannot respect a person who creates a fake persona where he seemingly wouldn't want his words or attitudes associated with his real life.

That's all ... this is all just a gem of a set of statements.

LOL

I did not expect anything less from you, people here know that english is basically my fifth language but hey, focus on a word spelled wrongly and ignore everything else, whatever works for you.

This is clownish behaviour, you label Harvey a troll?

I also did not say that education is bad, I said you have been mislead about this specific issue.
Gal 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.