ArtD

• 3558 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Natural Theology
Very, very strong message. Seems accurate to me.

https://youtu.be/4bwc_4RPiwU

Natural Theology

noncontingent

• 870 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: White Evangelicals, This is Why People Are Through With You (YouTube clip)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 02:50:38 pm »
You have to love a good straw man argument.

Too bad this isn't a good one.

Harvey

• 26308 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 03:27:03 pm »
Very, very strong message. Seems accurate to me.

https://youtu.be/4bwc_4RPiwU

There's definitely a somewhat hypocritical position--especially by those who judged Obama as evil simply because they disagreed with him politically. But, for those who see Trump as scum, there's no hypocrisy in supporting those views which one believes are best for the country. Obama did a lot of damage to the country so I think Evangelicals can justly support Trump to keep the country from further harm.

noncontingent

• 870 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 04:15:13 pm »
It comes down to "Hey, the person you voted for wasn't Jesus Christ", so you're a hypocrite.

Christians have varied views based on their individual consciences as regards government and their involvement w./government.

There wasn't unanimity in the first century among professed christians on many things.

Paul used his roman citizenship to advance the good news. One could have suggested that Paul was a hypocrite for using the roads and the laws of a government that killed his professed lord and master Jesus Christ (and perhaps some have), but this alone should be sufficient to make this minor point.

ArtD

• 3558 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Natural Theology
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 06:47:10 pm »
P.S. If I recall correctly Evangelicals went for Reagan more than Carter.
I think it's obvious who was more Christian.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:05:34 pm by ArtD »
Natural Theology

Harvey

• 26308 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 07:19:29 pm »
P.S. If I recall correctly Evangelicals when for Reagan more than Carter.
I think it's obvious who was more Christian.

So, I suppose you would vote for Mao, who was an atheist, over someone like Biden who is a Christian? Obviously people don't blindly vote for someone just because they share some key political, philosophical, or religious views.

bdsimon

• 7135 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 07:10:35 am »
In general, the US system of determining a president is less than ideal. In many cases, we are left with choices that are between two people that we would rather not be president. In those cases, for me at least, my vote is based more on policy than person. For many evangelicals there is only one issue that moves the needle for them and that's abortion. Personally, (although I understand that moral position) I don't think there will be a change in abortion policy with a conservative in office. However, I am more in line with the platform of the Republican party than I am with the Demcratic party, so what's a guy to do?

Also, this is clearly a political post.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

bskeptic

• 8399 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 09:20:45 am »
Well to change abortion laws, you need a Republican president to select conservative judges for the Supreme Court, and then you maybe have some sort of chance.

Whether you agree with abortion or not, everyone should be against Roe vs Wade, as it's an obvious case of "legislating from the bench" which brings the whole system into disrepute.

Imagine if it had gone the other way, and the Supreme Court had come up with some flimsy justification to say that the constitution *prohibits* abortion. How much would liberals scream about the injustice and bias of the judges?

bskeptic

• 8399 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:59 am »
Biden and Trump are both accused sex offenders, so there is some question over their character.

However, Biden is clearly in cognitive decline, and isn't mentally fit for the job.

Even more importantly, the Democrats have gone mad and e.g. now believe in open borders even if they don't explicitly call it that; some of them are talking about "defunding the police" as well, which is dangerous nonsense they borrowed from the BLM lunatics. Then there was the support in bailing out violent rioters... For Democrats the game looks like they want to help stir up racial tensions and violence, and then say, "voting for us is the way to fix racial injustice in America".

ChristianInvestigator

• 903 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 10:27:40 am »
Is the video arguing that conservative White Evangelicals bashed Obama because he was black? It seems more likely that they bashed him because they disagreed with his liberal policies -- healthcare, Middle Eastern appeasement, increased Abortion rights, LGBT activism, etc. Whether or not they should disagree with these policies is a different issue.
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

noncontingent

• 870 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 11:12:53 am »
Is the video arguing that conservative White Evangelicals bashed Obama because he was black? It seems more likely that they bashed him because they disagreed with his liberal policies -- healthcare, Middle Eastern appeasement, increased Abortion rights, LGBT activism, etc. Whether or not they should disagree with these policies is a different issue.

It's a straw man argument, bundling all evangelicals into the same box with the same arguments not attributable to a single person.

It's what you do when you troll. You post something and then see who it annoys and watch it.

Harvey

• 26308 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:49 am »
However, Biden is clearly in cognitive decline, and isn't mentally fit for the job.

You mean 200 million people haven't died from Covid-19? C'mon man.

noncontingent

• 870 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 11:48:17 am »

You mean 200 million people haven't died from Covid-19? C'mon man.

BTW the "C'mon man" reply is the linguistic fingerprint his accuser of sexual assault said he said to her. Not that she said that this was the fingerprint, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

https://youtu.be/w-hAZHtVpiw