General Discussion

Political Threads

Read 141 times

Spero

• 1540 Posts
    • View Profile
Why I’m voting for Trump
« on: October 20, 2020, 01:53:39 am »
So, I usually try to catch Ben Shapiro’s show a couple times a week. He cut a clip about why he’s voting for Trump in 2020 as opposed to not voting at all in 2016. It’s almost word for word the same thoughts and ideas I have for why I’ll be voting for him as well this time around.  I say “almost” because I disagree about a few of the policy decisions. Nevertheless, overall I think he’s been pretty decent on policy.

https://youtu.be/Y7Xj3tYFKks

And just for fun, also pretty much the same reaction I had on election night 2016:

https://youtu.be/MaiL4nayO7k

Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

Language-Gamer

• 7808 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
Re: Why I’m voting for Trump
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:41:00 am »
So, I usually try to catch Ben Shapiro’s show a couple times a week. He cut a clip about why he’s voting for Trump in 2020 as opposed to not voting at all in 2016. It’s almost word for word the same thoughts and ideas I have for why I’ll be voting for him as well this time around.  I say “almost” because I disagree about a few of the policy decisions. Nevertheless, overall I think he’s been pretty decent on policy.

And just for fun, also pretty much the same reaction I had on election night 2016:

I only listened to his summary at the very beginning, just to clarify at the outset. I really don’t care to listen to any politics so if I need to listen to discuss, I get why that might be necessary but I will not be doing so.

Anyway, sounds like way too much bad pragmatism compared to what I read in the Bible. I don’t see a verse that says character doesn’t count if their bad character has already caused a lot of damage and their continuing bad character probably won’t cause much more damage.
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

noncontingent

• 871 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:13:28 am »
I watched that too. I pretty much agreed, however I'm not on board w/his criticism of tweets and the like. I think the stained-wife-beater-t-shirt style is honest. That's Trump. I'd expect different from A Shapiro for president, because Shapiro's Shapiro.

I think Trump is possible the most vetted honest president we've had.

I was only hoping that he'd bust open the log-jam on freedom of speech, but he did far batter that I expected.

The left is totalitarian all the way.

Spero

• 1540 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 03:01:24 pm »
I agree it’s honest. With Trump, what you see is what you get. But sorry, the man himself is one of the biggest turn-offs for me that I can recall in any candidate...although, Hillary came pretty darn close. I totally agree with Shapiro that if Trump behaved like Pence, he’d be at least ten points ahead of Biden right now.

Spero

• 1540 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 03:30:04 pm »

I only listened to his summary at the very beginning, just to clarify at the outset. I really don’t care to listen to any politics so if I need to listen to discuss, I get why that might be necessary but I will not be doing so.

Anyway, sounds like way too much bad pragmatism compared to what I read in the Bible. I don’t see a verse that says character doesn’t count if their bad character has already caused a lot of damage and their continuing bad character probably won’t cause much more damage.
I know where you’re coming from on this Brett. Believe me, I do!  I have to force myself to vote for this clown. Both the Right and the Left have their radicals..and both are bad. But I’m seeing the radicals on the Left making serious inroads into the Democratic Party, with some Democrat politicians taking their side. I see the majority of Democratic politicians not willing to take any kind of a serious stand against them and a media that’s willing to look the other way. This is what’s scaring the living bleep out of me, not that these wackos exist, but the complacency that exists towards them. Until I witness more sane Democrats willing to unite together and stand up to the crazies that exist on their side, I fear them being elected to office. I’m more willing to put up with another four years of baboonishness than risk further totalitarian strides into the mainstream political sphere from movements that embrace radical leftist ideology.

Language-Gamer

• 7808 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:44:45 pm »

I know where you’re coming from on this Brett. Believe me, I do!  I have to force myself to vote for this clown. Both the Right and the Left have their radicals..and both are bad. But I’m seeing the radicals on the Left making serious inroads into the Democratic Party, with some Democrat politicians taking their side. I see the majority of Democratic politicians not willing to take any kind of a serious stand against them and a media that’s willing to look the other way. This is what’s scaring the living bleep out of me, not that these wackos exist, but the complacency that exists towards them. Until I witness more sane Democrats willing to unite together and stand up to the crazies that exist on their side, I fear them being elected to office. I’m more willing to put up with another four years of baboonishness than risk further totalitarian strides into the mainstream political sphere from movements that embrace radical leftist ideology.

I’m simply not sure that fear or worrying consequences of the other side winning the election justify throwing out what the Bible says about the importance of character, etc. Presumably if someone justified voting for Biden based on different calculations (climate change, etc.), your worry would not only be that their calculations are off, but also that their whole way of thinking is wrong. Namely, you would presumably find it wrongheaded to justify a vote for Biden with all the unbiblical stuff that entails simply because they think the political calculus makes it worthwhile. It’s the same with Trump. I simply don’t think we can write off the biblical witness simply because we think the pragmatic political stuff is so big.
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

Harvey

• 26342 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 06:44:52 pm »
I will probably vote for Trump (90-95%). If Hillary was running I might be tempted to jump ship and vote for her again only because she's pretty tough and smart so I think she could handle both the liberal wing as well as the CCP. I really do not like Trump, at all. But, Biden is not going to make it two years and even those two years he won't be running the show for most of it (and Kamala is not a good option). He needs three days to prepare for an hour debate and another day to rest after?! C'mon. He wants to be President? No way. Retire dude. Trump has done a lot of accomplishments and Shapiro is right about the damage has already been done (mostly... hopefully...). Trump has been better than I expected in 2016, But, his anti-Fauci, anti-Pentagon, etc. is almost pushing me to Biden. Trump is not far from Biden in terms of cognitive decline. He shows a lot of signs that he's also losing it such as going after Fauci. That's completely idiotic.

Spero

• 1540 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:32 pm »

I’m simply not sure that fear or worrying consequences of the other side winning the election justify throwing out what the Bible says about the importance of character, etc. Presumably if someone justified voting for Biden based on different calculations (climate change, etc.), your worry would not only be that their calculations are off, but also that their whole way of thinking is wrong. Namely, you would presumably find it wrongheaded to justify a vote for Biden with all the unbiblical stuff that entails simply because they think the political calculus makes it worthwhile. It’s the same with Trump. I simply don’t think we can write off the biblical witness simply because we think the pragmatic political stuff is so big.
Of course, the fear and worry are subjective..and  many Democrats have fears just as strong about Trump for another four years, but I have to go with how I’m currently viewing the situation. And no doubt character is important, very important...and I do wonder if what I’m about to do would have the approval of Christ. On one hand I have a man who has serious character flaws which run into direct opposition to Christian behavior, on the other hand I have a fear of the continuing influence of radical leftist ideology ( much of which I believe also runs into direct opposition with Christianity) on mainstream politics if Dems gain power. I just don’t know, Brett, I guess all we can really do in this case is act on our conscience and hope to God we’re doing the right thing.

Spero

• 1540 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »
He shows a lot of signs that he's also losing it such as going after Fauci. That's completely idiotic.

I think it’s more imbedded in that ginormous ego of his rather than mental decline...but who the heck knows.

noncontingent

• 871 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 08:52:40 pm »
I agree it’s honest. With Trump, what you see is what you get. But sorry, the man himself is one of the biggest turn-offs for me that I can recall in any candidate...although, Hillary came pretty darn close. I totally agree with Shapiro that if Trump behaved like Pence, he’d be at least ten points ahead of Biden right now.

Well if you've viewed my blunt posts, I think you might understand why I prefer his style. I don't believe any man is clean, and when they make a pretense of being clean I have to poke until I find out. Take the VP. I think he is who he is and I agree w/his morality. I too was a member of a church who would never isolate himself w/a member of the opposite sex not his wife, but even then I was pretty blunt. Trump is blunt, and his bluntness has been good because it's acted to bring the poisonous carbuncle which is the left to a head so all can see the diseased flesh just underneath the shiny surface.

Spero

• 1540 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 09:53:53 pm »
Well, I agree he certainly managed to rip the mask of the Left and the media...and that face is ugly as sin.