Gordon Tubbs

• 5821 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
What would happen if the Conservative Evangelical Project wins?
« on: November 06, 2020, 01:04:49 pm »
The CEP, loosely speaking is the political alliance between conservative Republicans and Evangelical Christians. The partnership goes like this: Evangelicals will vote Republican so long as Republicans pursue the social issues that Evangelicals want. This can be simplified to restricting abortion access and protecting religious liberties, but it goes far beyond that. I started this thread to ask: if you gave the CEP a magic wand and allowed them to magically transform the US into their desired nation, what would happen? More importantly, what would it matter to you, personally, if the CEP achieved everything it wanted? Would you consider voting Democrat at such point?
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

ArtD

• 3560 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Natural Theology
Re: What would happen if the Conservative Evangelical Project wins?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:23:55 pm »
Gordon Tubbs: This can be simplified to restricting abortion access and protecting religious liberties

Sadly, you are correct.
This can be simplified to restricting abortion access [controlling women's bodies] and protecting religious liberties [being able to reject gays].

NOT simplified to guaranteeing adequate health care to every American, ending racism, ending world hunger, reducing nuclear arms, etc.

Natural Theology

Fred

• 5711 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What would happen if the Conservative Evangelical Project wins?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 09:12:47 pm »
The CEP, loosely speaking is the political alliance between conservative Republicans and Evangelical Christians. The partnership goes like this: Evangelicals will vote Republican so long as Republicans pursue the social issues that Evangelicals want. This can be simplified to restricting abortion access and protecting religious liberties, but it goes far beyond that. I started this thread to ask: if you gave the CEP a magic wand and allowed them to magically transform the US into their desired nation, what would happen? More importantly, what would it matter to you, personally, if the CEP achieved everything it wanted? Would you consider voting Democrat at such point?
Great question! Regardless of what anyone answers, I predict everyone will remain conservative Republican.

It's the nature of the way most people think: they choose sides, and generally embrace the perspective of their side. It defines who they will listen to, and who they will trust.  Consider Franklin Graham, who has convinced himself Trump is a good man.  Political views are the same as religious views. I'm not indicting Christian's or conservatives; I'm.indicting humanity. 
Fred