AgapeFire

• 265 Posts
    • View Profile
What Other Religious People Have Claimed to be God?
« on: November 07, 2020, 08:53:46 am »
Other than Jesus, what other instances of a person are there who have claimed to be God (preferably someone tied to a known religion rather than a crazy, loner type of person just ranting without anyone taking him/her seriously - although, feel free to list those individuals as well)?

I thought it'd be fun to compile a list for educational purposes.

No, Donald Trump claiming to be "the chosen one" does not count.  :P

-AF

----------
formerly:  wlcgeek; keegclw; and GodLovesU - Hopefully, fourth time's a charm when it comes to remembering login info.!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:03:51 am by AgapeFire »

Harvey

• 25158 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What Other Religious People Have Claimed to be God?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 09:06:52 am »
Other than Jesus, what other instances of a person are there that have claimed to be God (preferably someone tied to a known religion rather than a crazy, loner type of person just ranting without anyone taking him/her seriously - although, feel free to list those individuals as well)?

I don't think the historical Jesus made that claim exactly. I think what he claimed was to be God's messiah and at the very end of his life realized that his blood would be shed. Reading Isaiah and Jeremiah I think he realized that his flesh and blood would now be a sacrifice and that they would form a New Covenant to replace the old. I think he knew God would bring him from the brink of death but didn't know how or when. I think he said on the cross, "My God. My God. Why have you forsaken me?"

Mammal

• 5034 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 09:16:34 am »
I thought it'd be fun to compile a list for educational purposes.
There are many..messiahs, Jesus incarnations, human deities. Wikipedia has articles on each of those.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

ChristianInvestigator

• 562 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 10:17:39 am »
Does it have to be historical people only? Because Greek and Hindi deities (like Krishna) come to mind.
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

Jabberwock

• 14785 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 11:41:20 am »
Does it have to be historical people only? Because Greek and Hindi deities (like Krishna) come to mind.

If non-historical people are in the run, my vote is for Daniel Dravot.
First learn to spell "ironic discussion"...

wonderer

• 15329 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:53:17 am »

If non-historical people are in the run, my vote is for Daniel Dravot.

Even less historical, Paul Atreides*...  Kind of.

*Dune spoiler alert.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

AgapeFire

• 265 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 01:10:00 am »
I think I was definitely thinking of historical people (i.e., real living human beings). 

Although, I am curious about some non-historical people too now that you mention it.  :)  Feel free to throw them in the mix (albeit with a qualifier indicating them as such). 

-AF

----------
formerly:  wlcgeek; keegclw; and GodLovesU - Hopefully, fourth time's a charm when it comes to remembering login info.!

kravarnik

• 6007 Posts
  • Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 08:33:31 am »
I don't think there any such people akin to Christ. As far as my knowledge goes most religions either explicitly teach against that - that God can enter our reality(because He is completely transcendent, or Holy, thus it's either impossible for Him, or beneath Him, to do so), - or they don't define said "Godhood/Divinity" and said "Incarnation" in the sense in which Christian define Divinity/Godhood and the Incarnation.

For example, Hindu and Far Eastern religions fall into the category of heresy, whereby they enter modalism, or Nestorianism, or monophysitism. Any incarnation in their view is either the Unitarian God enters a different mode of existence, but is still one person(modalism); or that the incarnation itself results in the two natures(human and Divine) be disjointed, rather than united perfectly(Nestorianism); or that the incarnation of the God results in one nature, which is a fusion of both, or the incarnation itself is the God, who mimics human being, rather then truly becoming man.

I could be wrong, of course, because I have not studied those religions in such depth. But reading in general about how they understand their theology, they do fall in the category of these three, which Christians consider false, thus define the Incarnation, and the Trinity subsequently, as perfect union of human nature and Divine nature in the Person of Christ, who is the Son of God the Father, thus Second Person of the Triune Godhead.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:36:52 am by kravarnik »
"And even if you crush my body and drain it 'til the last drop - you can never touch my spirit, you can never touch my soul. No matter how bleak or how hopeless, no matter how hard or how far - you can never break my conation. Tear the will apart from desire." Insomnium - Weather the storm

Lennon

• 1016 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:43:00 pm »
The emperor of Japan during WW2 was thought by the Japanese to be a deity.
So were the Egyptian Pharoahs

There are hundreds. Here is a wikipedia page..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_been_considered_deities