General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 120 times

OrthodoxJew

• 388 Posts
    • View Profile
Strongly recommended title
« on: October 25, 2020, 01:31:03 pm »
Although i am not a Christian, I often find my self reading Christian apologetics. This is due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of apolgetic works are by Christians (among other factors.) I find that of the works done by WLC, 85% of it is relevant to me due to the overlap of Jewish and Christian beliefs, particularly Gods existance/ natural theology etc. I usually skip the areas that don't pertain to me; atonement, defense of integrity of NT, defending the argument from resurrection.

Recently however I read an excellent work by a Jewish Scholar: Ani Maamin: Biblical Criticism, Historical Truth, and the Thirteen Principles of Faith. Joshua Berman is a renowned bible scholar and a professor of bible at Bar Ilan University. Although this is written from a Jewish perspective, there is no doubt the Christians on this forum will gain from it (as i do from WLC's work.)

Watch the author discuss the book here. Read a good review here.

I strongly recommend this title. Seriously you should buy it. Cash back guarantee from me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:45:16 pm by OrthodoxJew »
שמע ישראל ה אלוקינו ה אחד
"Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one."

Spero

• 1370 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Strongly recommended title
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:20 pm »
Thanks, I’ll check this out!  I’ve gained a lot myself from Jewish perspectives. Of course, we have our differences between Christians and Jews...but we also share a heck of a lot of scripture as well!
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

ChristianInvestigator

• 327 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:43:29 pm »
Very interesting. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I'll put it on my reading list!
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

Gordon Tubbs

• 5446 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:20:23 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. I recently picked up Jesus: First-Century Rabbi.

Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)

noncontingent

• 631 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:54:59 am »
I read Maimonides Guide to the Perplexed, and I'm perplexed by his terrible writing.

I'm inclined to take this book and rewrite it so it's actually intelligible.

I'm suspicious that love of obscurity is behind a lot of lauded works.

Spero

• 1370 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 11:05:41 am »
OJ, I forgot I wanted to ask you your perspective on Daniel 2 with Daniel’s interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream concerning the statue of empires; and if you could possibly link me to Jewish sources that expound on it. My take on it, from a Christian pov, is that it represents, from top to bottom: Babylonian, Medo-Persian, Grecian, and Roman...with Roman later divided into East and West. Is this how the Jewish Orthodox community deciphers it as well?
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18