Gnil

• 19 Posts
    • View Profile
The New Member Forum Experience Is Bad
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:50:53 am »
Hey, I'm new but I thought I'd discuss my experience here so far.

As a new member, your first 5 posts must be checked by a moderator before becoming viewable by other members of the forums. I can understand the reasoning for this, we don't want spam, we don't want rude or vulgar posts and you can exclude anyone who isn't commenting in an irenic manner. However, this has rather ruined that 'new forum excitement' for me as it makes it impossible to get stuck into discussions and have a back and forth conversation with someone. When your posts have a 24-48 hour timer on getting seen it just feels pointless posting and that immediate initial drive I had to partake. share experiences and ask questions has gone. After a while I started looking at other forums when I realised it was going to be a long time before anyone would even see my posts.

I'm not sure how many moderators there are but I would assume not many or this process would be faster. I would imagine though that like me, many potential new members are instantly put off by this wait time or look for forums elsewhere and never return. I've only been browsing a few days but the forums do seem rather empty with only the same 10-15 posters commenting. (Weirdly there also seem to be more atheists than theists but maybe that's just my small sample)

Anyway I just wanted to leave my thoughts as I feel like this experience must be preventing forum growth. Is growing the forum something the website owners or WLC are looking to do because it may be time to change tactics. I also wondered if Dr Craig ever promotes these forums as place for discussion as I've never seen this in his talks/debates online. It's mentioned in the description on youtube videos (which is how I found my way here) but I've not seen much other promotion.

I wonder what the experience of other/older users are here? Have the forums always been this stale or is it in decline? Would love it if moderators could share some statistics on that. If you cast your mind back to your new user experience what was that like?

ChristianInvestigator

• 327 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
Re: The New Member Forum Experience Is Bad
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:01 pm »
I just joined a few months ago. It’s definitely annoying waiting for your first few posts to get approved, but it gets out of the waiting period relatively quickly. I wish we had a few more theists, we’re definitely outnumbered lol.
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

Harvey

• 24687 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:52 pm »
It's had it's up and downs. Now is kind of a low point, but next year it might be high again. Although, I think this site has never been a massively popular site.

noncontingent

• 631 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:50:28 am »
I noticed the delay at first, but I appreciate it now.

It filters out random trolls as opposed to what some may consider me :)

palewine

• 905 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:56:06 am »
The entire forum experience is severely lacking from a UX and UI standpoint. It could massively benefit from an overhaul. I have done those things for a living, so don't get me started..... ;)

But the waiting period you mentioned isn't too unusual, and does serve a worthwhile purpose. I agree, though, it can be hard to wait when you're excited to get in there and post it up!

aort

• 8 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 09:59:45 am »
waiting for the censorship department is really discouraging.

aort

• 8 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:58:27 am »
Have now been waiting for 4 days for someone to ok the post. Maybe I have been classified as a Troll, since i not a Christian, but an naturalist agnostic. Probably it is just a matter of seconds before someone ok's my posts, but it is disappointing to place a comment in a conversation only to see it be overtaken  and ignored the following days by the chosen that are allowed to post.