General Discussion

Political Threads

Read 250 times

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
This is pretty scary
« on: November 09, 2020, 01:06:33 pm »
Trump fired his Defense Secretary Esper. Maybe Congress better act to remove Trump.

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: This is pretty scary
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 02:52:55 pm »
LOL..well, I hope this isn’t what we get between now and January!
https://youtu.be/06A_TLpfDhA
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 03:01:28 pm »
LOL..well, I hope this isn’t what we get between now and January!
https://youtu.be/06A_TLpfDhA

Lol. I just hope he doesn't try to start a war with Iran by trying to take out their nuclear facilities.

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 03:09:15 pm »
Nah...I don’t think so.  He’ll huff, puff and be loud, but I don’t think he’ll try blowing everything down. I can see him doing things like pardoning Ed Snowden and such, if for no other reason than to just stick it to Biden and Obama.

bdsimon

• 7108 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 05:49:15 am »
Trump fired his Defense Secretary Esper. Maybe Congress better act to remove Trump.
I'm with you on this one. Trump putting his cronies in serious positions of power after he has lost an election should give everyone pause.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 07:22:45 am »
I'm with you on this one. Trump putting his cronies in serious positions of power after he has lost an election should give everyone pause.

Yesterday he replaced three more senior positions at the Pentagon. It's the kind of move that let's your imagination run wild. This has always been my one major reserve against Trump was the risk that he presented, but he quelled that concern over the last four years.

My biggest concern is that he might try to strike Iran. Of course, one's imagination takes off from there. And, what if he gives an order that Biden catches wind of and tells the Pentagon to disobey?? I think this scenario, a plot for a Hollywood movie (stolen from Crimson Tide), could actually play out 

Like I said, a mechanism must be in place to quickly impeach him if he goes this route. If he's just getting back at people then it's stupid and in itself alarming, but a benign threat. Mitch McConnell needs to be telling Trump that this type of erratic behavior will not be tolerated.

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 07:26:58 am »
Tbh, I wouldn't have voted for him this time if I knew he would pull this type of erratic craziness

Mammal

• 5051 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 11:55:19 am »
I read that a very recent Ipsos/AP poll puts the American sentiment at around 80%, as much as 50% of Republicans, who think Trump should resign, that he was defeated by virtue of the results.

And I agree that his hiring and firing send all the wrong messages; some say this is to beef up internal security against a potential uprise..and just reading that sends chills up and down the spine..
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:46:59 pm »
And I agree that his hiring and firing send all the wrong messages; some say this is to beef up internal security against a potential uprise..and just reading that sends chills up and down the spine..

That too. Although if you really believe the evidence is on your side then you might think that people will believe the election was stolen and act out. But, I wonder if that is really the motivation here.

Gordon Tubbs

• 5608 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 01:54:00 pm »
I can guarantee you this is how the conversation happened:

Esper: Mr. President, I'm putting together a team to prepare the defense intelligence briefing for Mr. Biden; I'll need your approval for it.

Trump: Wait, you think Biden was elected?

Esper: Yes sir, I do.

Trump: You're fired.
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 02:14:48 pm »
I can guarantee you this is how the conversation happened:

Esper: Mr. President, I'm putting together a team to prepare the defense intelligence briefing for Mr. Biden; I'll need your approval for it.

Trump: Wait, you think Biden was elected?

Esper: Yes sir, I do.

Trump: You're fired.
Yeah, that sounds about right. lol

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 03:01:38 pm »

Yesterday he replaced three more senior positions at the Pentagon. It's the kind of move that let's your imagination run wild. This has always been my one major reserve against Trump was the risk that he presented, but he quelled that concern over the last four years.

My biggest concern is that he might try to strike Iran. Of course, one's imagination takes off from there. And, what if he gives an order that Biden catches wind of and tells the Pentagon to disobey?? I think this scenario, a plot for a Hollywood movie (stolen from Crimson Tide), could actually play out 

Like I said, a mechanism must be in place to quickly impeach him if he goes this route. If he's just getting back at people then it's stupid and in itself alarming, but a benign threat. Mitch McConnell needs to be telling Trump that this type of erratic behavior will not be tolerated.
I  wouldn’t lose any sleep over this, Harvey. Knowing Trump, I really do think it’s him getting back at people. Granted, it’s petty and a little concerning in and of itself, but still benign. Four years of Trump and really no new wars or skirmishes have started. I actually think his foreign policy has been quite good. Besides, all the Mullahs would have to do to stop any move on Trump’s part is give him the slightest compliment..he’ll love Iran forever. I think Kim Jong-un figured this out early on.

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 05:41:24 pm »
I hear ya. It might be petty politics. Another optimistic possibility is that Trump is trying to make some internal changes that is a last ditch opportunity to solve the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. Perhaps he wants to take credit for exiting Afghanistan...?

Gordon Tubbs

• 5608 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 06:56:13 pm »
My guess is that Trump is in his version of "no more Mr. Nice President" mode. The gloves are off, his colors are showing. He's now rebuilding his administration (that he assumes will persist) in a way that is focused on loyalty to him.
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 07:03:00 pm »
My guess is that Trump is in his version of "no more Mr. Nice President" mode. The gloves are off, his colors are showing. He's now rebuilding his administration (that he assumes will persist) in a way that is focused on loyalty to him.

That seems as good of a guess as any.