General Discussion

Political Threads

Read 366 times

Language-Gamer

• 7807 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
Re: Should we decriminalize sex work?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 12:03:49 am »
The other day I had a thought that if Christians from basically the first 1950+ years of the church read discussions like these they would probably wonder if the participants were even Christians.
If you read the literature that came out of the Temperance Movement, amongst others, one can understand why many Christians at that time, and decades prior to the 1920s, came to the conclusion that prohibition of alcohol was the moral thing to do before God..and so the Eighteenth Amendment was ratified. Those Christians who opposed such an Amendment were seen as being unchristian by many others.

I’m curious to know if you find the ratification of the Twenty-first Amendment to have been an unchristian thing to support in 1933.

Do you really think these are parallel?
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

Spero

• 1531 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 01:25:29 am »
To a certain extent, yes. Of course, shooting things like heroin has more dire effects than drinking alcohol. But, the point I’m trying to make is that the prohibition of currently controlled substances seems to be an ineffective way of curbing substance addiction problems, partly based on a past experience with prohibition and the results some other countries have been getting with different programs. Our drug problem seems to be getting worse in the U.S., not better. Decriminalizing and regulating the sale of it may be a more effective solution; and I think it should be, at the very least, tried. That, combined with certain programs to help addicts, may help to turn the numbers around.
I’m not suggesting this because I’m morally fine with people doing drugs..I want the nation to be better helped. Maybe it won’t work here in the U.S. for cultural reasons, the population size, etc..but I think it’s at least worth a go.

I suggested a book to ChristianInvestigator in post 1. You fly through books in a matter of days. Why don’t you breeze through it and see if what it suggests makes any sense to you?
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

Language-Gamer

• 7807 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 04:27:51 am »
To a certain extent, yes. Of course, shooting things like heroin has more dire effects than drinking alcohol. But, the point I’m trying to make is that the prohibition of currently controlled substances seems to be an ineffective way of curbing substance addiction problems, partly based on a past experience with prohibition and the results some other countries have been getting with different programs. Our drug problem seems to be getting worse in the U.S., not better. Decriminalizing and regulating the sale of it may be a more effective solution; and I think it should be, at the very least, tried. That, combined with certain programs to help addicts, may help to turn the numbers around.
I’m not suggesting this because I’m morally fine with people doing drugs..I want the nation to be better helped. Maybe it won’t work here in the U.S. for cultural reasons, the population size, etc..but I think it’s at least worth a go.

I suggested a book to ChristianInvestigator in post 1. You fly through books in a matter of days. Why don’t you breeze through it and see if what it suggests makes any sense to you?

Right, but I brought up Christian tradition as relevant so I don't see how your response touches on that in any substantive way.

(I'm not reading books right now so no go on that front.)
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

a

• 48 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 09:25:29 am »
What’s scripture have to say?
About legalizing such things?  I think obviously if one takes their example from OT law put forth by Moses for Israel, such things should be illegal, but then are we to follow the OT example of how to govern?  The NT obviously has things to say about the immorality of such acts, but IMO very little about legislating against them. What’s your take on this, LG?

I guess I simply find it weird that apparently scripture has nothing to say about the topic.

Scripture is notoriously light on policy recommendations.

ChristianInvestigator

• 775 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 10:42:08 am »
We're taking something meant to be illegal and on the fringe and saying "actually, it's okay. You can do this now."
I don’t know..that sounds rather specious to me. I think what we’re saying - and should highlight when decriminalizing - is that you have the freedom to do these things, but negative consequences will result, and so we strongly recommend against it.

I think the vast majority of people know this already anyway, and so I believe decriminalization will only have a negligible effect on recruiting new users. Those who don’t currently use, but want to try it due to peer pressure, the experience, etc are going to do it regardless. If we want to be more effective in combating various criminal elements and cartels, whose mere existence cause massive strains on society via their methods, this may be the way to go. I believe it would have a huge impact on their their power and influence.

You don't think that decriminalizing drugs will have a large impact on attracting new users? I live in California where Marijuana was recently legalized, and found this article with mixed results. Teen use is down in California, but is growing nationally thanks in part to the fact that companies are now legally able to advertise Cannabis, which will change public perception over time,
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

Spero

• 1531 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 05:01:36 pm »
We're taking something meant to be illegal and on the fringe and saying "actually, it's okay. You can do this now."
I don’t know..that sounds rather specious to me. I think what we’re saying - and should highlight when decriminalizing - is that you have the freedom to do these things, but negative consequences will result, and so we strongly recommend against it.

I think the vast majority of people know this already anyway, and so I believe decriminalization will only have a negligible effect on recruiting new users. Those who don’t currently use, but want to try it due to peer pressure, the experience, etc are going to do it regardless. If we want to be more effective in combating various criminal elements and cartels, whose mere existence cause massive strains on society via their methods, this may be the way to go. I believe it would have a huge impact on their their power and influence.

You don't think that decriminalizing drugs will have a large impact on attracting new users? I live in California where Marijuana was recently legalized, and found this article with mixed results. Teen use is down in California, but is growing nationally thanks in part to the fact that companies are now legally able to advertise Cannabis, which will change public perception over time,
This is why I highlight government regulation if we do this. They should not be able to advertise the product, ESPECIALLY on television and social media. Cannabis should be handled in much the same way cigarettes are..in fact, perhaps even more strict than that. But look, I’m not delusional enough to say this approach is 100% going to work the way some others do..it very well may not, particularly here in the U.S.; but considering how our past methods of dealing with the war on drugs has faired, I think it’s time to try different methods. 

Fred

• 5702 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 06:24:52 pm »
Should we decriminalize sex work?

I hope we do. I could use the extra money.

Fred

ChristianInvestigator

• 775 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 10:44:41 am »
@ Fred: LOL

@ Spero: Yeah, I agree. We already have plenty of anti-smoking ads, if we start decriminalizing drugs we might as well have anti-drug ads too.
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

a

• 48 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 11:04:29 am »

Do you think they'll make you wear a mask with clients? xD

wonderer

• 15401 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 12:30:57 pm »

ROFL
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Spero

• 1531 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 03:41:21 pm »

Lose the boe tie first, Fred...I hear they can be a big turn-off.

Fred

• 5702 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 09:06:55 pm »

Lose the boe tie first, Fred...I hear they can be a big turn-off.
I guarantee that if I post that picture on a prostitution market webpage, I will get thousands of people interested.  (Including the Feds).
Fred