General Discussion

Political Threads

Read 307 times

AgapeFire

• 351 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Left Hates the Working Class?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 05:41:30 am »
This reminds me of problems the Democratic party had in the 1960s.  Up until the mid-60s, the party had a segregationist wing and a "liberal" wing.  After Johnson pushed through civil rights legislation, the segregationists departed. My formerly Democratic cousins in rural central Texas told me they were voting for Republicans because the "Democrats did too much for the n***ers".
I hope they didn't tell you that recently. 

Thomas Frank (most known for What's the Matter with Kansas?) documents the Democrats' decades-long betrayal of the American working class in his 2016 book, Listen Liberal.  After their loss in 1968 to Richard Nixon, an internal struggle within the party began to brew between the working class and union members vs. the more academic, intellectual elite types.  Over time (and probably largely influenced by 1970's campaign finance law changes that essentially legalized corporate political bribery in the U.S.), the more white collar, academic elitist faction won out and it's made the party a mostly moderate, corporatist entity ever since.  The needs of the working class are largely ignored and even trampled on oftentimes. 

Nowadays, they focus on identity politics, while doing little the fight back against the oppressive, oligarchic rule of the elites/rich in the U.S.  Much of the Progressive Caucus isn't even progressive.  lol.

Some of that's changed recently with the Berniecrat movement.  You have Our Revolution/Justice Democrats/Brand New Congress running progressive (no corporate money backing allowed) candidates to try to win back the Democratic Party from its corporatist elected officials.  AOC is obviously the most notable of this bunch.

-AF

----------
formerly:  wlcgeek; keegclw; and GodLovesU - Hopefully, fourth time's a charm when it comes to remembering login info.!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:43:33 am by AgapeFire »

noncontingent

• 871 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Left Hates the Working Class?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 08:31:57 am »
So many over generalisations in  just one post - mostly nonsense

e.g. "The left is against freedom for the individual" vs Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite

The French revolution was leftist mob action

"They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves to depravity. For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him." - 2 Peter 2:19

Liberty is a synonym for freedom. Glad to see you admit you were wrong.