Political Threads

Read 368 times

noncontingent

• 808 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Trump is sinking his 2024 chances
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 09:14:38 am »
But you still voted for Trump?

Yes. China is a far, far bigger threat than Trump. He will be cast out of office without serious evidence of voter tampering, whereas a strong CCP will use their power to dominate the world and gradually destroy democratic structures through strategies that they have been employing and have yet to employ (e.g., artificial intelligence). All of Trump's harm goes away on Jan 20.

I don't understand what informs your opinion w/regard to Trump and China.

China as you concede is a great threat, and yet you fail to concede that Trump reversed the threat w/China in ways no other president has.

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 09:53:44 am »
China as you concede is a great threat, and yet you fail to concede that Trump reversed the threat w/China in ways no other president has.

Huh? Where did I assert Trump "fail[ed] to ... reverse[] the threat w/China"? He did a lot and no president has done much in comparison. That's why I voted for him.

Mammal

• 5051 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:54 am »
Hence, you often see theists and conservatives as the baskins of objectivity.
Sometimes you are really funny. That was a good chuckle, thanks.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 11:31:36 am »
Sometimes you are really funny. That was a good chuckle, thanks.

Fine, but that wasn't an objective chuckle.

Mammal

• 5051 Posts
  • De facto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 12:09:44 pm »
#smiley.

Tell you what, I have plenty of time for Romney. That is what America needs right now, more of that unclattered, middle-of-the-road thinking. And I don't think he and Biden are too far apart.
Fact, Fiction or Superstition?
Thank God For Evolution
The Evolution Of God

noncontingent

• 808 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 12:40:19 pm »
#smiley.

Tell you what, I have plenty of time for Romney. That is what America needs right now, more of that unclattered, middle-of-the-road thinking. And I don't think he and Biden are too far apart.

Romney is an elitist douchebag.

noncontingent

• 808 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 12:47:41 pm »

Huh? Where did I assert Trump "fail[ed] to ... reverse[] the threat w/China"? He did a lot and no president has done much in comparison. That's why I voted for him.

"...bigger threat than Trump"

If Trump is a threat, it's to the howling denizens of parasitic government bureaucracy.

Trump is the first time I bothered to vote...well I did vote for lloyd Dogget once, but gave up on voting at all after that. I didn't vote in 2016. The only thing I thought he might do was to clear the way for more freedom of speech. I just hoped he wouldn't screw things up. Then he did so much better than I ever imagined.

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 04:57:28 pm »
The problem I see with most naturalists and progressives is that they very rarely depart from their party line. Hence, you often see theists and conservatives as the baskins of objectivity.
You know, there was a time - not too long ago as a matter of fact - when I would’ve found this statement completely false. But, I’m starting to see it this way myself. I don’t know about theists and conservatives being “baskins“ of objectivity, but I am beginning to see them as more objective than the other side. I guess one good example of this is that you tend to see more crossover opinions from conservative judges on the Supreme Court than you see from the liberal ones.  This was rather recently brought to my attention...and from what I found, they’re right.
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

wonderer

• 15330 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 08:47:38 pm »
baskins of objectivity.

Hmm...

Urban dictionary:

Baskin
To kill someone; also, to kill someone by specifically feeding them to tigers.
She'll Baskin his ass and inherit everything.

Dictionary.com:

Baskin
noun
Leonard, 1922–2000, U.S. sculptor and artist.

Definitions.net:

Baskin
Baskin is a village in Franklin Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 188 at the 2000 census. Baskin is located north of the parish seat of Winnsboro.

A bastion of bewilderment, it seems.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 09:54:03 pm »
^
Honestly, what was the point, Wonderer,  in directing that post at him? You disagreed with his assessment, so you wanted to find a way to make him look foolish? I knew what he meant, so I put the word in quotes knowing he’d pick up on it. I’ve gone back to edit my own posts after rereading and finding careless mistakes. It happens, especially when thinking quickly and typing it out on a phone.

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:30 pm »
baskins of objectivity.

Hmm...

Urban dictionary:

Baskin
To kill someone; also, to kill someone by specifically feeding them to tigers.
She'll Baskin his ass and inherit everything.

Dictionary.com:

Baskin
noun
Leonard, 1922–2000, U.S. sculptor and artist.

Definitions.net:

Baskin
Baskin is a village in Franklin Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 188 at the 2000 census. Baskin is located north of the parish seat of Winnsboro.

A bastion of bewilderment, it seems.

Haha. Age is slowly doing a number on me. Yes, I meant bastion. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll probably be relying on you more and more.

* Btw, in fairness I remember talking about Baskin-Robbins ice cream earlier.  :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:26:45 pm by Harvey »

Harvey

• 25167 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 10:23:29 pm »
You know, there was a time - not too long ago as a matter of fact - when I would’ve found this statement completely false. But, I’m starting to see it this way myself. I don’t know about theists and conservatives being “baskins“ of objectivity, but I am beginning to see them as more objective than the other side. I guess one good example of this is that you tend to see more crossover opinions from conservative judges on the Supreme Court than you see from the liberal ones.  This was rather recently brought to my attention...and from what I found, they’re right.

Very true. There are of course major exceptions and the far right is still as looney as ever, but when you reach the levels of a Justice John Roberts or a Peter van Inwagen we are really in a bastion of objectivity.

wonderer

• 15330 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 05:05:57 am »
^
Honestly, what was the point, Wonderer,  in directing that post at him? You disagreed with his assessment, so you wanted to find a way to make him look foolish? I knew what he meant, so I put the word in quotes knowing he’d pick up on it. I’ve gone back to edit my own posts after rereading and finding careless mistakes. It happens, especially when thinking quickly and typing it out on a phone.

The point?  To amuse Harvey with the Urban Dictionary definition of "baskin".  Giving you the opportunity to engage in virtue signaling was just a bonus.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Spero

• 1449 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2020, 05:44:14 am »
^

The point?  To amuse Harvey with the Urban Dictionary definition of "baskin".  Giving you the opportunity to engage in virtue signaling was just a bonus.
Ok. If that really was the point, then I apologize. I’ve seen that cheap shot tactic before ( not from you ) and I find it annoying, so I wasn’t sure.

...and thanks for the opportunity btw!!!

wonderer

• 15330 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2020, 07:46:21 am »
You're welcome. :-)