Political Threads

Read 101 times

ArtD

• 3560 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Natural Theology
An Open Letter to Trump Supporters
« on: January 12, 2021, 04:26:44 pm »
Once you may have wanted to Make America Great Again.
Then you deserved the label MAGA.

But you now are Trump cultists.
Now you are Make America Great Again Trump Supporters
MAGATS, for short, pronounced the same as maggots, the fly larvae that feed on shit.

January 6 was an attempt to violently overthrow the government of the United States of America, planned and promoted by Donald J. Trump. When the Capitol was attacked by a violent mob, a mob with weapons, a noose and a gallows, a mob looking capture or kill Pence, Pelosi, and any other “enemy” politician, police backup took HOURS to arrive, because a man Trump had placed in the Pentagon in November refused to authorize reinforcements.

Do you want to live, do you want your children to grow up, in a banana republic ruled by a president-for-life tyrant, a tyrant who cares nothing for you?

Remember when Trump withheld COVID supplies from blue states? Don’t millions of his supporters live in those states?

Remember the Bernstein tape, when Trump told Bernstein how dangerous COVID was? And what did Trump do then? Lie. Downplay COVID so that as many American as possible got infected.

Trump has been working against America since 2011, when he began questioning the birth of the President of the United States. Remember when Trump said his investigators in Hawaii were finding “amazing” evidence. Has he ever shown that evidence? Of course, not. Because he’s a first-class bullshitter; he lies as easily as normal people breathe.

Trump’s mission is to tear down America, to cause insurrection, civil war, IEDs (improvised explosive devices) on the streets of America. He’s Putin Puppy, pure and simple. And you’re helping him.

MAGATS, you are either EVIL or STUPID or both.

EVIL if you know Trump lost but still want to create division, insurrection, and civil war in America.

STUPID if you really believe Trump won “by a landslide” after 60 judges, some of them Republican, some of them appointed by Trump himself, say Trump’s legal challenges are bullshit, after his former Attorney General agrees, after the politicians, some Republican, and the press say so.

But you don’t believe the press, the politicians, or the judges, do you? Trump has taught you to disbelieve the FBI, the United States generals, the courts, the CDC, Doctor Fauci, and almost everyone else, hasn’t he? Only he tells the truth???

There’s an old joke: a man tells his doctor, “Doctor, everywhere I press it hurts. I press my chest, it hurts. I press my knee, it hurts. I press my head, it hurts.” “You moron”, says the doctor. “Your problem is your finger is broken.”

Donald Trump is the man with the broken finger. He sees the entire world as broken because HE is broken.

It’s time to wake up. It’s time to stop being MAGATS as well as MAGGOTS. It’s time to stop being a rot, a cancer in America.

It’s time to come back to reality. It’s time to come back to America.

Natural Theology

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: An Open Letter to Trump Supporters
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »
Yeah, it is a challenge not to be angry these days.

I'd. be curious as to whether you have any thoughts on my Monkey Mind thread.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

ArtD

• 3560 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Natural Theology
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:48:26 pm »
Monkey Mindedness as I understand it refers to a fluid, unfocused state of mind. “It sure is sunny today. I wonder what I’ll have for lunch. Yea, I have to remember to call Pete. Is that a fox? No, just a dog. I wonder why I overslept this morning . . . “

In meditation, we try to focus the mind (though mantra, breathing mindfulness, etc.) and quiet the Monkey Mind.

But I don’t see a necessary connection between that and blame. Conceivably, I could have a focused mind, focus on someone’s behavior, decide they are worthy of blame, and then reenter a quiet state of mind, focused on mantra or breath. Agree?

Natural Theology

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:30:29 pm »
Monkey Mindedness as I understand it refers to a fluid, unfocused state of mind. “It sure is sunny today. I wonder what I’ll have for lunch. Yea, I have to remember to call Pete. Is that a fox? No, just a dog. I wonder why I overslept this morning . . . “

In meditation, we try to focus the mind (though mantra, breathing mindfulness, etc.) and quiet the Monkey Mind.

But I don’t see a necessary connection between that and blame. Conceivably, I could have a focused mind, focus on someone’s behavior, decide they are worthy of blame, and then reenter a quiet state of mind, focused on mantra or breath. Agree?

I have some understanding of that way of using the phrase "Monkey Mindedness", based on fairly limited experience with meditation.  However, I am using "Monkey Mindedness" in a different sense, related to how evolution from monkey-like ancestors has impacted the way our minds work in the context of being in a blaming state of mind.  (Not to say that there aren't lots of other ways that evolution impacts the way our minds/brains work.)

I don't know what your view on free will is.  I am coming at things from a deterministic perspective, where people can't reasonably be seen as truly responsible for having a blaming state of mind, but where having an understanding of our natural inclination to blame can reduce the time we spend in a blaming state of mind.
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger