General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 381 times

barryjones

• 423 Posts
    • View Profile
What does God want me to do RIGHT NOW?
« on: February 27, 2021, 08:19:13 pm »
Conservative Christians are constantly telling us unbelievers that we are in trouble with God.

They will say stuff like "you better accept Christ or you'll go to hell."

But every time I had such a debate with such Christians in my home or elsewhere, they didn't think I was irrational to walk away to get something to drink, or get the kids from school, or let the dog back in the house, or tell him I'm about to make dinner for the kids and he should come back later.

I got the impression that conservative Christians don't think skeptics are unreasonable or irrational when skeptics drive  a car, or make dinner for the kids, or write a check to pay the electric bill, or go to the bathroom, etc.

Yet when I ask them what does God want me to do RIGHT NOW (which could be anything from studying John 1:1, to researching Gary Habermas' resurrection arguments, to going to the store for groceries, to falling asleep watching a movie, etc, etc), they just act like a deer in headlights.

They aren't going to say God wants me to avoid getting something to drink and instead just read John 1:1.
They aren't going to say I should refrain from going to the bathroom and instead just watch a Mike Licona debate video.

So if they refuse to say these typical acts of typical adults are unreasonable for skeptics to commit, and if they refuse to say what God wants me to do RIGHT NOW (and if they did, I'd be asking them how they could possibly know something so specific, a test they would surely fail), then don't they forfeit the right to balk when upon learning that they are no help, I answer that question for myself in a way they dislike?

So since I must answer that question all through the day, it would appear the Christian can never nail down the specific time in my life in which pursuing a spiritual goal is more important than pursuing an earthly goal.   In other words, they cannot demonstrate the unreasonableness of the skeptic being so  caught up in earthly goals that he just doesn't have any time to pursue spiritual goals.

Micah

• 52 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What does God want me to do RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 09:55:27 pm »
I'm not sure I really have the best answer except to say that I don't think that really understands the Christian view of life. It's not necessarily that there are "spiritual" goals and "earthly" goals, and pursuing one is more important than the other. It's perhaps rather a difference between living live in allegiance to God and living it in rebellion of God. Without getting into the argument about whether Genesis is literal or metaphorical, it seems that even before anything went wrong and man rebelled and sinned against God, God set man to work in the garden, taking care of the world He created, and reflecting God's image to the rest of creation. I would take this to mean that working, eating, doing regular life earthly things is in no way contrary to what God would have us do, alongside of course, spending time seeking more directly after our creator. Thus in one sense, as you are not a Christian, I think I can confidently say that now is always the best time to seek after God, to repent and believe, and to live your life in light of God's existence, His kingship, and His goodness. In another sense though, God created us to do everyday life kinds of things, and there's nothing wrong with going to the bathroom or picking up your kids from school. So the sceptic's problem is not that he is too busy doing earthly things to do spiritual things, but that he should be doing both his "earthly" and "spiritual" things in a way that displays faith, love, and allegiance to the God who created him and died for his sins, which likely does include praying, repenting of sins, reading scripture, and being part of a church alongside taking care of your kids, evacuating your bowels, and eating good food.

lancia

• 6123 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:47:18 pm »
I'm sort of surprised that you weren't told by these Christians what you should do, since the Bible is fairly consistent in saying what one should do--follow the example set by Jesus. Two conspicuous citations are these.

“For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.” (John 13:15)

'For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps.” (1 Peter 2:21)

That doesn't mean you therefore shouldn't do things like cook dinner for your kids. In fact, Jesus fed others, very generously at times, and did many other things that showed his love for others. Thus, you are already doing some of the things you should do to follow the example set by Jesus. Just look at the sheep and goats parable (i.e., Matthew 25:31-46) for other sorts of things Jesus valued in others and did himself, setting a good example.

Telling unbelievers that they are in trouble with God and saying stuff like "you better accept Christ or you'll go to hell" do not make a sensible evangelistic approach. That's so because even if it worked, it would result in people believing for the wrong reason. It would be the epitome of winning the battle but losing the war, in that it focuses on a kind of self-centeredness contrary to the other-centeredness Jesus taught. Behaving that way would not be following the example set by Jesus.

And I'm not even a Christian.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:14:57 am by lancia »

Gordon Tubbs

• 5828 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:27:51 am »
This topic was dumb the first time around.

Admit it Barry, you're not here for understanding or for your own personal philosophical development, you just want to flame theism, flame Christians, and flame Christianity.
Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament (PCUSA)
Regent University, Master of Divinity (Chaplain Ministry)
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-2018)
Check out my blog!

jayceeii

• 659 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:25:41 am »
It seems that we have met different sets of Christians, since the ones I have met if queried about God’s Will, sniff their own underarms and quickly give smug pronouncements that what God wanted happens to be what they’re doing. The Christian attitude is that God’s Will can be known for a little asking, which in most cases is a momentary pause in usual hedonism. Christians I’ve met would say, “Let us pray, and God’s Will will be apparent.” Or they may say, “Let us go to the preacher, he thinks about these things and will tell us.”

If you want to talk about earthly versus heavenly, then there is a question of whether God wanted something more from humanity than types of advanced bears still living in their dens but finding the cubs benefit from an education and soccer practice. The very fact you could ask your question here, proves that Jesus was vague, perhaps intentionally so. Each sect has privately interpreted what God expects to see, though there’s general agreement among the major sects that a secular life with occasional hymns, is enough.

In this regard there are two sects standing out above all others, and curiously enough their total population is about 144,000, the special number Revelation said would be those following the Lord closely. A difference of these sects is that if you belong, you no longer face economic uncertainty. Therefore it can be argued they are implementing “love thy neighbor as thyself,” more authentically than the rest. But these sects are marginalized and hated by the majority of Christians, and seem to me to lack integrity.

These sects are mostly closed to outsiders, which is not what the Lord wanted. And they’re achieving a more heavenly lifestyle through rigid rules, that their hearts don’t feel. Thus I’d say it is more important to look to the founders of these sects, and the principles they related. These founders seemed in tune with the Lord, interpreting His Will more authentically than the former committees. To be really pleasing to Jesus one would have to rejoice at following His ways. That, it seems to me, is not easy for men.

Micah

• 52 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:20:01 pm »

"If you want to talk about earthly versus heavenly, then there is a question of whether God wanted something more from humanity than types of advanced bears still living in their dens but finding the cubs benefit from an education and soccer practice. The very fact you could ask your question here, proves that Jesus was vague, perhaps intentionally so. Each sect has privately interpreted what God expects to see, though there’s general agreement among the major sects that a secular life with occasional hymns, is enough."

I'm not sure I really agree with your perception of the Christian life either. I think that fair enough, some people live like a "secular life with occasional hymns" is enough, but I don't think that's what it means to follow Christ, nor do I think that there's general agreement among the major sects that it is. Perhaps my first response could give that impression. I think generally it's agreed rather that following Jesus should touch every part of your life, causing one to turn away from sin, wherever it touches your life, and turn to follow Jesus, living a life in accordance with His example of righteous living and self-sacrifice, doing the things we do to love God and our neighbor, including calling our neighbor to also choose to follow Jesus. The purpose of my first response was to say that I also don't think this means one must pretend the world and earthly responsibilities don't exist, and to say that the assumption of the original post, that earthly behaviors and spiritual behaviors are somehow diametrically opposed such that one "cannot discern when the skeptic should stop doing earthly things and start doing spiritual things" is something of a false dichotomy. God created the physical world and called it good. Gave us mouths to eat, hands to do and make, feet to go. We were made to do earthly things and live life. Further the way we live our earthly lives and treat others has spiritual significance, hence it could be said that earthly endeavors and spiritual endeavors have more overlap than people might think. Thus the point of the Christian life, having already sought Jesus for forgiveness, is to do everything we do, earthly or spiritual, to the glory of God, and in submission to King Jesus. This may mean great sacrifice for some people, in order to share the gospel, to stay faithful in a place where Christianity is not tolerated, to feed the poor, or to fight against sins and addictions which seem to dominate one's life. For others it may mean living a peaceful life righteously as an example of Jesus to those in their community or at their assembly line job.

jayceeii

• 659 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:25 am »
We were made to do earthly things and live life.
I can only call onto the deep, and around you I haven’t called deep enough. If you are satisfied that Christians are living the good life God intended, you create a cold and bleak world, without genuine friendship or enthusiasm for living. Further, it’s a world that denies Jesus inherently, who would be reviled as He’d try to ask for a little more glory.

In order to submit to Jesus, you’d need to be in contact with Him, and nobody is. All seek only their own underarms, as they pretend God’s will can be known by a little prayer or a moment’s introspection. And the whole thing is headed off a cliff no one sees but the Lord. This is the very nature of Christianity, claiming justification, but it is all hypocrisy.

The worst sins of man are unseen, and Jesus did not respect men enough to relate what these are, which means He did not give an authentic path to salvation, which would mean pleasing God. He did not give an example of righteous living, merely wandering the countryside in danger, giving lectures, His support coming from those who had money.

Micah

• 52 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:10:53 pm »
I'm not really sure how to reply to that except to ask you what you think righteous living, and following Jesus is. I tend to have other problems with the idea that Jesus intentionally mislead the world; it seems like we're heading fast towards some Gnostic idea of secret knowledge.

I don't intend to say that there aren't many many people who say they believe in Jesus, but don't really live like He is true. There certainly are people who believe nominally/culturally, and are too busy trying to preserve this life to lose this life for Christ's sake. That is a tragedy, and so long as we are on this earth, we all need to repent of our sins and seek after Jesus, in so far as we are able. I don't think that losing our life for Christ's sake means that we are free of our earthly responsibilities. I think you have to take into account the creation, before Christ came and saved us, before we even sinned. What was man made to do? Take care of the garden in Eden. Tend God's creation, to rule over it and subdue it. Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The activities humans have been engaged in for the past however long, building cultures, building families and societies and cities, inventing technologies to combat the effects of sin and the fall, helping and loving their neighbors, holding celebrations, etc. etc. seem to be a part of that call to rule over and fill the earth.

The problem is that these things were done by people who were living in rebellion against God, worshipping other things instead, and so all of these things, good in and of themselves, have been marred by our sinfulness. Cultures can be toxic, families fall apart, technology is used for great evil, we don't love our neighbor, and our celebrations are in honor of false gods. We are guilty of these things, and in need of forgiveness, obtained through the death and resurrection of Jesus. But what are we saved for? In one sense to make disciples of all nations so that all will come to know Jesus and be together with Him at the end. In another sense, as per Ephesians, we are saved for good works. To live a good life, in relationship to God, which will often mean going far beyond just a little prayer as you put it. But the point is that this good life of loving God and loving others restores the intended value of our earthly activities, and indeed loving others requires that we be involved in their lives, which implies physical, earthly engagement with others. There is no conflict between picking up your kid from work or attending to other matters of earthly life, and following Jesus or doing "spiritual" things. They overlap because the point is all of life lived in submission to and relationship with God.

Of course you say this was a deception. I would understand if you said that Christians don't live like the Jesus they worship. This can unfortunately be the case for a lot of people. But you seem to be saying that the Gospels themselves are mislead. So how does one actually come to know the true Jesus? What are the worst sins of man, unseen? Where does one obtain the knowledge that you seem to have? Those would be my questions to you.

jayceeii

• 659 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 01:22:19 pm »
Those would be my questions to you.
There are a lot of ways for me to approach this, but I think I must avoid the most straightforward routes. It’s interesting that you chose the screen name of Micah, since Micah was a prophet, and your language is somewhat in that vein. Like Micah, your route seems to be supporting the human race. You are saying the things they need to hear to support their religion, and likely giving an example of a Christ-like life, but only within the confines of what the system will bear, and that means 5% at most of what can be done. Christ was never meant to dwell among humans. His ways are too foreign to theirs, as the Bible declares numerous times. To understand why, you must think beyond men.

MC: I'm not really sure how to reply to that except to ask you what you think righteous living, and following Jesus is.

JC: There are no examples of righteous living yet, and Jesus didn’t give enough information to be followed authentically. It wasn’t enough to say, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” This needed to be explicated, or men were left to their own devices. Jesus often hinted at things men could not do, such as asking a rich man to sell all that he owned. Although I could write a symphony, one note I’ve touched upon in this forum is that when “love your neighbor” is interpreted properly, poverty should end, at a minimum within the specific sect in question. If it does not, some are glorifying in what they deny to the others, which is manifestly unkind and unfriendly, and certainly unloving.

MC: I tend to have other problems with the idea that Jesus intentionally mislead the world; it seems like we're heading fast towards some Gnostic idea of secret knowledge.

JC: To see that Jesus misled the world requires a realistic assessment of the human race, which as the Bible says, is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward. One thing is that opinions are generated not on the basis of truth, but on the basis of wanting to feel different and unique, in a situation where uniqueness in the personality itself cannot be assessed. This ends as the source of all the religions and all the sects. Men don’t want a unified religion, that the One God could have revealed across all epochs and to all races. They want to feel themselves to be different, and to feel that they are superior and looking down. Christianity supplies this aplenty, as many revel in thoughts of hell for the rest—though hell itself was never defined and they don’t inquire about it!

MC: I don't intend to say that there aren't many many people who say they believe in Jesus, but don't really live like He is true.

JC: I have found not one who lives as if Jesus is true, and I suspect you’ll fail my test as hundreds I’ve encountered have already done, directly or indirectly. To accept that Jesus is true, you’d have to think authentically about the Deity and what His embodiment is like. For instance you’d know He’d be in great danger today, for the Christian church has declared He can reappear in only one way, flying literally on a cloud, miracles spouting from His ears. Anything else they would condemn, and in fact persecute unto death.

MC: There certainly are people who believe nominally/culturally, and are too busy trying to preserve this life to lose this life for Christ's sake.

JC: “Losing the life” is a very loose analogy, but here is also one place Jesus misled the world, by implying there would be a reward waiting in Heaven for those who sacrifice today. This is what drives the missionaries and monastics. Yet these are very cold to Christ and His real principles. If you want to know quickly what that is, it is taking joy from the joy of another. In all these situations the people are found working for private benefit. They would not take up the joy of their neighbor as the motivation for daily work, which is the real meaning of “losing the life.” Your concerns are for public good.

MC: That is a tragedy, and so long as we are on this earth, we all need to repent of our sins and seek after Jesus, in so far as we are able.

JC: The tragedy is that they couldn’t change much even if informed about it. If you know human nature, you know that it changes very slowly. The higher life requires a perception of others and oneself as living souls, created by God, with the purpose of universal joy. The human perception is of a material body competing to survive among other bodies.

MC: I don't think that losing our life for Christ's sake means that we are free of our earthly responsibilities.

JC: No, indeed, the higher society would be a need-based one, rather than a greed-based one. The number one concern is that all should have what they require for a decent life. That should’ve been the very purpose of a society, from the outset, not each family competing against all the other families, some inevitably forced into want. This is something easy for Jesus to observe, but He failed to highlight it and turn the world around.

MC: I think you have to take into account the creation, before Christ came and saved us, before we even sinned. What was man made to do? Take care of the garden in Eden. Tend God's creation, to rule over it and subdue it. Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The activities humans have been engaged in for the past however long, building cultures, building families and societies and cities, inventing technologies to combat the effects of sin and the fall, helping and loving their neighbors, holding celebrations, etc. etc. seem to be a part of that call to rule over and fill the earth.

JC: Here’s the real test of whether you are here to help man, or to help the world go beyond man. I’m not sure I should bother telling you, since I have told so many before and in very clear, explicit ways, to find there is no mental response whatsoever. Here is one place where you and all Christians are failing the Lord. And if you could see this, you could no longer remain a Christian. You’d understand the Plan is bigger than this.

Though claiming to believe that God is real, you don’t credit Him with any real powers. The Bible says the world was made in seven days, and you haven’t integrated the findings of modern science to understand God made the world over five billion years. If you could take this one step, which no one else on Earth has yet taken, you would see Judgment is not about smashing the world and making a new one with a finger-snap, but about preserving the current globe for the five billion years astronomy says remain to us.

But as I say this is impossible for you or anyone to understand, and I can explain why. Your mind is unable to see beyond one lifetime. You think what you see, is all there is. This means you are denying the reality of future generations that God intends to bring. And when they get here, they’ll curse the current generation for taking resources they could have put to better use. That is something the prophet Micah would have seen. Judgment will be about the rights of future generations, that everyone rejects but God.

MC: The problem is that these things were done by people who were living in rebellion against God, worshipping other things instead, and so all of these things, good in and of themselves, have been marred by our sinfulness. Cultures can be toxic, families fall apart, technology is used for great evil, we don't love our neighbor, and our celebrations are in honor of false gods.

JC: You have one cylinder of your mind firing, but not two, and certainly not a V-6. You are relating part of the story, but not seeing the whole. To see the whole requires a holistic view of the whole Earth in its total time frame, which science begins to supply but which defies the view of any scientist. I’ve known many engineers who can run a material balance for a production plant, but none that can apply it to Earth as a whole.

The cylinder in your mind that is firing is saying, “Technology is used for great evil,” but you are probably only thinking about war, not about the dreadful consequences of war to the resources, or of the trivial nature of the minds engaging in such wars, not to notice or to care about this. But Jesus also gave no clues about this, and this means no one is following Him since there were no tracks. Certainly the Lord would not denude the Earth.

MC: We are guilty of these things, and in need of forgiveness, obtained through the death and resurrection of Jesus.

JC: Yes, I have news about that. The blood of Jesus proves creatures will kill their Creator if given opportunity. Christians have conceived they are saved by this, but this requires presuming the Father accepts or expects such sacrifices. But the face of Jesus and the Father are one and the same, as Jesus said. More is required of man than killing.

MC: But what are we saved for? In one sense to make disciples of all nations so that all will come to know Jesus and be together with Him at the end.

JC: Yawn. Such is the refrain of the preachers, as you give another kick to the wheel. But no one really wants to be with Jesus, including you. No one can recognize Jesus, including you. If you are really looking for Jesus, what do you say about the Vissarion over in Russia? He looks and acts exactly like the classical image of Jesus, and if you think that’s easy you’ve got another think coming. He isn’t Jesus, but the important thing is that no one is watching, no one is noticing. Christians do not really long for the Lord.

MC: In another sense, as per Ephesians, we are saved for good works. To live a good life, in relationship to God, which will often mean going far beyond just a little prayer as you put it.

JC: If I lose my job today I’m out on the street tomorrow, and no Christian church would help. To join the Christians you have to scramble in the competitive heap for a job, first. This is where Jesus said, “If you deny the least of these, you deny me.” There’s a lie in the world that hard workers always succeed. Instead jobs can be denied to the best of us.

MC: But the point is that this good life of loving God and loving others restores the intended value of our earthly activities, and indeed loving others requires that we be involved in their lives, which implies physical, earthly engagement with others.

JC: Looking within the families man sees good, but looking between the families God sees lack. It’s really about the other souls, not your kin, and Jesus did make explicit comments about this which the committees rebuffed, crafting religion for the masses. You may cite volunteer organizations, but I’d call this window dressing on a basically isolationist attitude, where the people appear good mainly from avoiding encounters. Do you think the angels dwell in families? Such is the Mormon vision. Yet I’d assert powerful souls long for more frequent interactions, able to support hundreds of friends.

MC: There is no conflict between picking up your kid from work or attending to other matters of earthly life, and following Jesus or doing "spiritual" things. They overlap because the point is all of life lived in submission to and relationship with God.

JC: “Other matters of earthly life” include taking more than the neighbor can have, which is unfriendly. If you can pick up your kid, do you care vitally about all children in the world? Everyone is keen to take care of their own children, but generally push other children away, finding no motive. Jesus would prefer universal love, between all souls.

Again, I would deny you have a “relationship with God,” until your life displays divine properties that Jesus would respect. This means power and purity, as Jesus said the pure in heart would see God. Divine properties are qualities that would allow you to actually live near to Jesus, interacting with Him daily in a way that He would regard to be friendly. But as Jesus stipulated this may be harder than people think. One thing you should see is that Jesus would be aware that He is spirit, not body. This means He would not want to be touched. The paintings showing Jesus hugging sinners, are in wild error.

MC:  Of course you say this was a deception. I would understand if you said that Christians don't live like the Jesus they worship. This can unfortunately be the case for a lot of people. But you seem to be saying that the Gospels themselves are mislead.

JC: The Gospels didn’t say how Jesus would live, and this is critical to understand. Humans set up their society with almost no input from above, no guidance from God. The human society has cropped up according to principles humans find in themselves. Did you think Jesus is a family man? Did you think He is a businessman? Think again.

MC:  So how does one actually come to know the true Jesus?

JC: If He were here you could ask Him, or at the Second Coming He may choose to write rather than merely talking. Then there’d be an unambiguous record of God’s choices. As Jesus said, no one knows the Father except through Him. Even the angels knowing themselves, cannot say what God is like. If you see the Jesus in the Bible was intentionally vague, you are out of luck. But as He said, you can knock on the door.

MC: What are the worst sins of man, unseen?

JC: If I relate these I’ll likely get booted from the forum. They’re in everyone’s plain sight, but regarded as more sacrosanct than life itself. If you get to know me better I can say more about it. But if you want to think about it on your own, ask what God would see as evil, if He expected this planet to support advanced civilization for five billion more years. But you need a mind that can think in overview, away from what humanity thinks.

MC: Where does one obtain the knowledge that you seem to have? Those would be my questions to you.

JC: In fact I can only appeal to what I call cognoscente, people that already know what I am relating to be true. You show evidence of being such a one, when you did not attack over my colorful analogies, for instance about the bears sending their cubs to school. That’s an important and useful analogy, but one needs a special perspective to see it. The situation on Earth is not what it seems, souls made fresh. They’re rising from somewhere.

The prophets were cognoscente. All the religions were set up and are maintained by cognoscente. These can be recognized and studied, because they are clearly beginning with higher truths that they know, then watering these down for the intended (human) audience. All the religions can be harmonized once this activity is understood (and the need for it). But I generally speak about what is natural for me, how I would live on this Earth if I could. I’d like to say Jesus could be a companion of mine, but it isn’t the case.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:30:05 pm by jayceeii »

kravarnik

• 6105 Posts
  • Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:44:15 pm »
God wants you to stop posting these rather silly threads.
"And even if you crush my body and drain it 'til the last drop - you can never touch my spirit, you can never touch my soul. No matter how bleak or how hopeless, no matter how hard or how far - you can never break my conation. Tear the will apart from desire." Insomnium - Weather the storm

palewine

• 937 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 03:26:05 pm »
Sorry Barry, but I gotta agree with Krav on this one.

jayceeii

• 659 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 08:05:01 am »
God wants you to stop posting these rather silly threads.
Without a crowd it doesn’t look real to you, does it? I’m not even sure that it is real. I am real. This much I know.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 06:21:09 am »
1 Timothy 2:1   First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. 7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Want to know what to do? Read the NT.

jayceeii

• 659 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 08:43:35 am »
1 Timothy 2:1   First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. 7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

The trouble here is that “godly and dignified in every way” is left completely undefined, the end result of which is that man makes himself the measure of good and evil, as the Garden of Eden fable said would be the case, instead of hearing what really pleases God. Were Earth a peaceful and quiet place, claims the Bible guides might not be hypocritical.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 08:49:56 am »
1 Timothy 2:1   First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. 7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

The trouble here is that “godly and dignified in every way” is left completely undefined, the end result of which is that man makes himself the measure of good and evil, as the Garden of Eden fable said would be the case, instead of hearing what really pleases God. Were Earth a peaceful and quiet place, claims the Bible guides might not be hypocritical.

That is why I said to read the NT.