Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
[Tongue-in-Cheek] Atheists should pay royalties to theists
« on: July 21, 2021, 09:39:29 pm »
As stated here, theists are largely responsible for introducing mathematics into science:

For some thinkers the belief that 'number' could express something of the nature of the world led numbers to be viewed merely as symbols for other kinds of entity. Johannes Kepler (1571-1630),to take a prominent example, rejected this numerology. . . [h]e repudiated numerology when the signification alloted to numbers was merely contingent upon a numerologist's whim because he believed that the answer to numerological questions had to derive from the formal structure of mathematics itself. Believing that mathematics was 'co-eternal' with the mind of God' and that geometry 'provided God with a model for the Creation'. . . Idiosyncratic as this may seem, it was exactly the same belief in the mathematical structure of the world which enabled Kepler to make his discovery that planetary orbits are elliptical rather than circular. Kepler continued to struggle with Tycho Brahe's Mars data for eight years because of his paramount commitment to Neoplatonic and magical belief that mathematics was not merely a convenient tool for 'saving the phenomena' but actually revealed the way things are. . . . [s ]uch views of mathematics and its applicability to an understanding of mathematics and its applicability to an understanding of the natural world can be traced back at least as far as Roger Bacon.  ("Companion to the History of Modern Science", edited by RC Colby, GN Cantor, JRR Christie and MJS Hodge, pp. 592-593)

So can we make it a law of the land that atheists immediately cough up royalty payments to Christian theists for their use of mathematics in science and engineering? Arithmetic is a few pennies for each operand, but integrals and differential operators are a $1 per usage. Prices go up from there.

After all, if you mention the Super Bowl in official print you have to pay money to the NFL. A lot more than a $1. So, these are pretty good rates.

Note: In fairness to atheists we theists should pay royalties on evolutionary related concepts. I say we get 50% off since Maupertuis was prior to Darwin with his theory of natural selection and Darwin may have been a Christian when he first came up with natural selection.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:32:24 pm by Harvey »

Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: [Tongue-in-Cheek] Atheists should pay royalties to theists
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 09:54:24 pm »
Should atheists pay royalties for Newton's laws? That could get expensive.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:35:05 pm by Harvey »

wonderer

• 16245 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: [Tongue and Cheek] Atheists should pay royalties to theists
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:19:50 pm »

Non-Arian Christians would need to pay as well,

Actually, trinitarians should pay extra for understanding gravity, due to their long persecution of Arians like Newton, and Jews like Einstein.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:39:58 pm by wonderer »
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:27:04 pm »

Non-Arian Christians would need to pay as well,

Actually, trinitarians should pay extra for understanding gravity, due to their long persecution of Arians like Newton, and Jews like Einstein.

Lol.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:34:45 pm by Harvey »

Jabberwock

• 15508 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 03:53:49 am »
Harvey, ever heard of Anaxagoras, Pitagoras, Euclides, Aristotle, Erasthothenes etc.? For the dudes who invented mathematics, early Christians were 'atheists'. If you told them that you somehow 'share' their religious beliefs, they would find the idea laughable. So, are you ready to pay up?

It never fails to amuse me how often 'we, Christians' changes into 'we, very generic theists' when you want to take credit for something.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:57:06 am by Jabberwock »
First learn to spell "ironic discussion"...

Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 06:23:34 am »
Harvey, ever heard of Anaxagoras, Pitagoras, Euclides, Aristotle, Erasthothenes etc.? For the dudes who invented mathematics, early Christians were 'atheists'. If you told them that you somehow 'share' their religious beliefs, they would find the idea laughable. So, are you ready to pay up?

It never fails to amuse me how often 'we, Christians' changes into 'we, very generic theists' when you want to take credit for something.

You're going back too far. Everyone knows that everyone owes Greece a lot of money, but we also owe China, Iraq, and Egypt a great deal too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:34:22 pm by Harvey »

Jabberwock

• 15508 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:06:04 am »
You're going back too far. Everyone knows that everyone owes Greece a lot of money, but we also owe China, Iraq, and Egypt a great deal too.

Yes, any such appropriation is silly.

Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 07:17:28 am »
Yes, any such appropriation is silly.

Tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't say it's silly to credit people who's descendants are sometimes not seen with the respect once given to their ancestors. This actually drives President Xi batty that China came to experience a century of humiliation (1839 to 1949).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:33:56 pm by Harvey »

Fred

• 6494 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 11:12:33 am »
I wouldn't say it's silly to credit people who's descendants are sometimes not seen with the respect once given to their ancestors.
Individuals deserve credit for the contributions they make. Their descendants can take pride in their ancestors, but they do not deserve credit.  That sort of reasoning is chauvinistic.
Fred

Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 12:02:02 pm »
Individuals deserve credit for the contributions they make. Their descendants can take pride in their ancestors, but they do not deserve credit.  That sort of reasoning is chauvinistic.

It's tongue-in-cheek but I'm sure glad I don't have to pay those royalties that atheists ought to pay. #jk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:33:23 pm by Harvey »

Spero

• 1711 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 12:14:09 pm »
Saturday and Sunday off….that’s a big one!  Unfortunately, it never really benefited me that much for most of my adult life, BUT, it still be a big one!!
Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

The Beego

• God Emperor of Dune
  • Administrator
  • 158 Posts
  • Literally PM me about anything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 01:38:46 pm »
Isn't the saying 'tongue in cheek'? Lol
'Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory.'

-Aragorn; The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jabberwock

• 15508 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 01:58:54 pm »
It's tongue and cheek but I'm sure glad I don't have to pay those royalties that atheists ought to pay. #jk

We have already established that Christians would pay as much.

Harvey

• 27803 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 02:31:53 pm »
Isn't the saying 'tongue in cheek'? Lol

Yes, I believe you are correct. I will make that change.