FNB - Former non-believer

• 4048 Posts
  • Do you REALLY make your decision based on reason?
Dr. Craig vs. Kari Enqvist: "Can the Universe Exist Without God?"
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Copleston wrote: Like the debate with Klemens Kappel, this one seemed like both speakers were on two different boats in fog. But I think the most radical position taken by Dr. Kari Enqvist was that the very question of the debate is meaningless. It seems like many atheist scientists simply hate philosophy. At least Dr. Enqvist and Peter Atkins do. No wonder for the past 50 or so years, there has been a large increase in Theist philosophers, and we are moving away from the old ways of Bertrand Russell and his gang of atheists who ruled Philosophy departments for the first half of the 20th century. I think Dr. Craig needs to seriously have a one-on-one debate with Daniel Dennett who is a philosopher and is trained in logic.

Though Dr. Craig has debated many philosophers trained in logic, but he did also have an exchange with Dennett, though it wasn't a traditional debate. The link for the audio is here, http://apologeticsorg.blogspot.com/2009/07/william-lane-craig-vs-daniel-dennett-on.html

baranbaran

• 2 Posts
Re: Dr. Craig vs. Kari Enqvist: "Can the Universe Exist Without God?"
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 02:30:24 AM »
hell no.....
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
Re: Dr. Craig vs. Kari Enqvist: "Can the Universe Exist Without God?"
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
What truly disturbed me was when I heard Enqvist saying we ought to abandon reason and rationality because of Quantum Mechanics. I've heard Kappal, Krauss, Hawking and Dawkins spout the same thing. They keep saying philosophy is dead, don't listen to philosophers, stop trying to reason with your mind, only listen to scientists and even then only the scientists that are atheists. What I'm seeing is reprehensible anti-intellectualism. They're saying, "Thinking leads to God, so stop thinking, let scientists do your thinking for you."
This is actually extremely interesting, because you have identified “controlling” behavior, that connotes poor mental models for the others in the world. It’s a general human fault hence going unnoticed, and the religions certainly gave no instruction regarding it! The controlling mentality can be seen especially easily in the theories of utopian schemers, whose systems in the end are treating the masses like automatons who will follow their individual will, instead of living persons who think and make their own decisions. In this case spotting a controlling mentality in Enqvist throws the rest of his thinking into question. When the mind forms poor mental models for others, in this case expecting them to stop thinking and only listen to scientists, it proves it is not a very logical mind.