Retired Boards (Archived)

Incarnation

Read 39919 times

Jesus4Life

Did John 8:1-11 really happen?
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:02:24 AM »
In the Gospel of John, chapter 8, verses 1-11, it describes Jesus as letting a young adulteress go free without punishment, and he tells to to Go and sin no more. This scene is very well illustrated in the 1977 miniseries, Jesus of Nazareth. Most scholars, however, agree that this passage was not in the original manuscript, but rather, was added years later to John's gospel. Given these facts, is there any reason why we should take this story as historical?

lapwing

• 8899 Posts
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
Re: Did John 8:1-11 really happen?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »
The gospels are not exhaustive accounts of Jesus' life or even his ministry.

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written. Jn 21:25

So all one can say is that this pericope does not apppear in the Greek Sinaiticus and Vaticanus and appears first in the Gk/Latin codex Bezae. I don't think it is possible to say why that is but the pericope must have existed before being included in Bezae. The story certainly fits in with the gospel portrayal of Jesus.
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

VictoryinChrist

• 329 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
I see no reason to doubt it... Scholars will doubt anything that makes Jesus more than a man.

Biep

• 910 Posts
    • Apologetics in Dutch
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
The language seems Lucan, and Luke has filled his gospel to the brim  - the maximum length of a scroll.
Quite possibly this was a bit left out by him, but not thrown away.  Some old manuscripts have it after Luke.
It definitely doesn't belong in its current place, where it breaks another story in two.
-- Biep
I tend to post and run, but always hope to return eventually.  Don't hold your breath, though.

I have very little energy at the moment, so don't expect much of me right now.

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »
Quote from: William Blake, “The Book of Urizen”
And his soul sicken'd! he curs'd
Both sons & daughters: for he saw
That no flesh nor spirit could keep
His iron laws one moment.

Adultery is a worse crime than it appears at first, because the individual who can engage in it exhibits severe limitations in perception and love power. It was not Jesus’ role to accuse man, but to uplift man where he stood—but also without offering any challenges.

In this case, a perfect race would never have a single divorce, since every individual would without fail find the exact right one for him or her, and be able to perceive that to be with the wrong one would be like trying to jam a size twelve foot into a size three shoe. The way to attempt this if you are not already perfect, is to plan on taking years to search for and identify the one beloved. If Jesus respected man He would have said this.