Retired Boards (Archived)

Community Debates

Read 6263 times

NickH

• 1 Posts
Christian views on cremation?
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:36:30 PM »
I am new to the forum & am just beginning my Christian journey.
I read a very informative article on the RF website re: what happens when we die, & was interested to learn that when we die our souls are kept in an intermediate state close to Jesus Christ, until his second coming when our bodies will rise & we will change into gloriously perfect bodies into which our souls will join again & Jesus will lead us to heaven - amen!
My question however is what happens if someone is cremated? Obviously there is no body (0r skeleton) as such to rise, but does the same principle apply?
What is the Christian feeling on cremation?

jayceeii

• 1630 Posts
Re: Christian views on cremation?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:10:20 AM »
You are asking a key question no Christian has asked before, as they expect bodies to be reassembled after Judgment although the molecules were scattered at death and might exist in worm or crows! There is no clear teaching of a soul in Christendom. The implication of any mention of soul has been that the body is implicit. But if the soul is separable from the body, Christianity falls away as ridiculous. If only spirit is real, placed upon a physical platform, then the best thing to do with dead bodies is not cremation, that adds to global warming, but simple burial in the woods with a wooden marker that future generations may care to renew depending on the value of the individual in his or her contribution to global joy or harmony. And that next person, who is the same person, can even visit that gravesite, rejoicing that the body has been made new through God’s dispensation. If you are old there is lamentation the body is falling away from weakness. But half of all our lives are spent old, and the young ones keep arising, rejoicing by God.

Harvey

• 34250 Posts
Re: Christian views on cremation?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »
I am new to the forum & am just beginning my Christian journey.
I read a very informative article on the RF website re: what happens when we die, & was interested to learn that when we die our souls are kept in an intermediate state close to Jesus Christ, until his second coming when our bodies will rise & we will change into gloriously perfect bodies into which our souls will join again & Jesus will lead us to heaven - amen!
My question however is what happens if someone is cremated? Obviously there is no body (0r skeleton) as such to rise, but does the same principle apply?
What is the Christian feeling on cremation?

I haven't heard any restrictions by any particular denomination. I think it's not a doctrinal issue.